Stronglifts & calorie surplus

Options
I lost 70 lbs and did not do any strength training during that loss. Now I'm working to gain lean mass by doing Stronglifts (3 months in) and I started from the very beginning (empty bar). My question is since stronglifts is more about strength than hypertrophy (which I'm OK with, I want that strength base), does it make much sense to eat above maintenance? This question comes based on the fact that despite my lifts showing steady progress, I've gained about 5 lbs in 3 months, my LBM according to my scale hasn't really moved. I know bio-impedence isn't ideal, but based on previous experience, I trust a 3 month timeframe is long enough to at least see a trend.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs and did not do any strength training during that loss. Now I'm working to gain lean mass by doing Stronglifts (3 months in) and I started from the very beginning (empty bar). My question is since stronglifts is more about strength than hypertrophy (which I'm OK with, I want that strength base), does it make much sense to eat above maintenance? This question comes based on the fact that despite my lifts showing steady progress, I've gained about 5 lbs in 3 months, my LBM according to my scale hasn't really moved. I know bio-impedence isn't ideal, but based on previous experience, I trust a 3 month timeframe is long enough to at least see a trend.

Hypertrophy is more driven by total volume, than it is a specific rep range. So as long as you keep adding weight, and keep getting stronger, you have a fair chance of gaining muscle if you are in a surplus.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You have to consider that you started with the empty bar, so it will take a while before you really start stressing your major muscles. Not discounting the work you've done to this point, it's necessary work building the stabilizing muscles. I started very light as well for that very reason. All that to say, the muscles you've been working the most starting out have been smaller muscles that aren't going to grow significantly anyways. Now as you proceed to heavier lifts, eating above maintainance (or at least at maintenance), you should see some gains or at least body re-composition.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're on the right track now. you're on an established progressive training program & eating just over maintenance. Stick with it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As you are "un-trained" you will probably see some muscular gains doing Stronglifts although it is primarily a strength programme. I would eat slightly above maintenance to optimise your gains.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Do the program for strength and size. Don't try to add too much shiny stuff as your body has a set amount of resources to build muscle. Squats, Deadlifts, Press, Bench Press, Rows all work fantastically. You can add Chin Ups, Abs, and Biceps Curls (not all on the same day) after your big lifts for additional hypertrophy with strength carry-over too.

I.e. day 1 accessory : 3-5 sets Chins and 2-3 sets of Abs
    Day 2 accessory: 3-5 sets Pull Ups and 2-3 sets of Curls

• andrelittle2323
    andrelittle2323 Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eat, eat and eat man. I'm literally right there in the same boat with you. Also, try calisthenics first before really doing any weighted exercises. Hypertrophy is more based on volume rather than weight if I'm not mistaken. But you do need it to lift heavy so push ups and free squats are a great way to prepare yourself for weighted exercises.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It has already been covered by the posters above, but just wanted to add, ditch the BIA scale and don't let that effect your mindset.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You have to consider that you started with the empty bar, so it will take a while before you really start stressing your major muscles. Not discounting the work you've done to this point, it's necessary work building the stabilizing muscles. I started very light as well for that very reason. All that to say, the muscles you've been working the most starting out have been smaller muscles that aren't going to grow significantly anyways. Now as you proceed to heavier lifts, eating above maintainance (or at least at maintenance), you should see some gains or at least body re-composition.

It took until I reached 185 lbs on the bar bell hip thrust before I notice any glute hypertrophy. Until then, I think it was mostly strength and neural adaptions.

I began with the bar and it took 4 months to get to 185 lbs. I am female.