Need to change routine for the last bit?

Options
I'm on my last few pounds and I'm told that this is going to take the longest and be the hardest to lose.

With that being said, I'm assuming that I should change my workout routine? Should I now be including some weights too? I'm not really sure how to change my workout to maximize my calorie burn for each work out.

Right now I'm just doing cardio for about 40 minutes 5-6 times a week (burning about 400 cal each session). I'm not doing weights or strength training at all.

I'm trying to get back into spinning, but the classes at my gym just don't work with my schedule anymore.

What should I do to do to get the most from my work out?

Thanks!

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    I'm on my last few pounds and I'm told that this is going to take the longest and be the hardest to lose.

With that being said, I'm assuming that I should change my workout routine? Should I now be including some weights too? I'm not really sure how to change my workout to maximize my calorie burn for each work out.

Right now I'm just doing cardio for about 40 minutes 5-6 times a week (burning about 400 cal each session). I'm not doing weights or strength training at all.

I'm trying to get back into spinning, but the classes at my gym just don't work with my schedule anymore.

What should I do to do to get the most from my work out?

Thanks!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I think both of those things would help - changing your cardio and lifting weights. Even if you can't make it to spin, twice a week try something else - a class or different machine.
  • staliajones
    Options
    Remember that the more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn. Incorporating weights is a great idea! Make sure that you begin with light weights and do quite a few reps - try to avoid doing heavy weight and low reps. You can also try doing things that do not incorporate actual weights, but the weight of body such as lunges, wall sits, squats, abs, etc. If you do the same cardio machine day in and day out, your muscles (they have memory) will become accustomed to it so doing cardio circuit tends to be extremely beneficial. Try doing 20-20-20 on three different machines. 20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the stair master (or whatever machine you choose). You will be working different muscles and it will make your workouts a little less mundane. Keep pushing on and try something new!