Lose weight first and then build muscle/work on physique after?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    trwww wrote: »
    . . . it [is] impossible to eliminate muscle loss and still lose fat at a decent rate.

This is simply false.

It is difficult but NOT impossible to gain LBM (including muscle) while losing fat "at a decent rate." My experience is proof of that.

It is not possible to shed any appreciable amount of bodyfat without dropping some LBM.

So you don't believe recomps are a thing?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    I think different people are at different stages . I would not let lack of exercise stop me from weight loss . Dont get me wrong exercise is good , but sometimes we want to loose some weight first.. the main thing is keep working toward your goal

good luck

You make it sound like you can't train and lose weight? Lifting is muscle sparing.

no not at all , just that some people are at different stages in there fitness , for example hurting when trying to walk ,, but if you lose 40 pounds you find it easier to walk with less pain ,, like i said nothing wrong with exercise ..

good luck
  • trwww
    trwww Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Several people have misunderstood me so I want to be clear, you should always do resistance training, it is very important during weight loss to reduce muscle loss. I already said this in my first post so I'm not sure why people are explicitly saying I didn't.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ignore the poster above and start lifting straight away. Resistance training will stop you from losing muscle whilst you lose weight and when you are as lean as you want to be, you can increase your calories to help build some muscle.

LIFT NOW!!

This. This. This
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I love Orangetheory, it has helped me soooo much! They definitely encourage heavy lifting, at least the trainers at my studio. I love the workout and think it's a good mix of the cardio/HIIT and also the strength component. Keep building that muscle, it helps so much with weight loss! As far as losing weight and also toning, my trainer always used to say, "First we find, then we define." (We were always using weights in my sessions, he just meant in terms of seeing muscle definition.) If you lose a lot of weight quickly, you will lose some muscle mass. So it's important to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing the fat. Nutrition also plays a big role in that. The more I did OTF, the more motivated I became to fuel my body the right way for performance.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights has its own, separate beneficial effect on weight (fat) loss--even in addition to the muscle sparing. It is NOT an "add on" while the "cardio does the fat loss work". A combination of lifting and cardio results in greater fat loss than either lifting or cardio alone.