How in fresh h*ll does anyone stay within their calorie budget?!!!

Options
I've worked with a personal trainer before, I've logged all my calories, measurements, and exercise so this is not new to me. BUT, that was back when I was in my late 20's and now that I'm in my early 40's the game has certainly changed. I'm 5'9" and 157 pounds and not happy with my size or how tight my clothing is. I'm trying to get back down to 140 and the myfitnesspal app is telling me I can eat 1300 calories a day. After eating a slice of wheat toast with a small shmear of peanut butter for protein (I'm hypoglycemic and need lots of protein) with a small cup of coffee, I'm already doomed for the day calorie-wise. Add in the Lean Cuisine thing I had for lunch with an 8 ounce glass of low sugar Kool Aid and I had 300 calories left at 1 pm. Seriously??? How in fresh h*ll does anyone stay within their budget? If I'm almost breaking the bank with a piece of whole wheat toast and a Lean Cuisine I'm screwed. :/

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    FernGitt wrote: »
    I've worked with a personal trainer before, I've logged all my calories, measurements, and exercise so this is not new to me. BUT, that was back when I was in my late 20's and now that I'm in my early 40's the game has certainly changed. I'm 5'9" and 157 pounds and not happy with my size or how tight my clothing is. I'm trying to get back down to 140 and the myfitnesspal app is telling me I can eat 1300 calories a day. After eating a slice of wheat toast with a small shmear of peanut butter for protein (I'm hypoglycemic and need lots of protein) with a small cup of coffee, I'm already doomed for the day calorie-wise. Add in the Lean Cuisine thing I had for lunch with an 8 ounce glass of low sugar Kool Aid and I had 300 calories left at 1 pm. Seriously??? How in fresh h*ll does anyone stay within their budget? If I'm almost breaking the bank with a piece of whole wheat toast and a Lean Cuisine I'm screwed. :/

What did you set your weight loss per week goal to? Do you exercise (MFP calories are pre exercise) and concentrate on volume foods (egg whites/eggs, low sugar fruits/veggies, lean proteins). Fats are very high in calories, so I tend to cut them when I diet down. But that is also because I don't get filled up by them. i respond better to carbs/starches. And proteins/fiber has the great satiation levels.

Also, I the only calories I would drink would be from a protein shake. Drinking calories is a waste IMO unless it's a special occasion.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Exercise and you get a lot more flexibility. I walk every day for about an hour and run 5 days a week, plus assorted other exercises as cross training. (I did this before starting MFP.) Instead of being restricted to 1200 calories, I am able to eat 1800-2000 and have lost over a pound a week in the past 6 weeks.

What is your goal for weekly weight loss? If you entered 2 lbs a week, you will be really restricted. Since you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you might try losing .5 to 1 lb. a week instead.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Try setting yourself at a 1lb per week loss rate, then eat back your exercise calories. You'll be happier and the harder you work out the faster you'll lose weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Yup, at your height and weight and with only 17 lbs to lose, I'd say you set your deficit too high. I agree with @Spliner1969 except I'd go to to .5 lb a week and eat your exercise calories back.
  • FernGitt
    FernGitt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This thing said I should lose 1 pound a week by January something. Sounds alright to me. Guys I wish exercising every day was that easy but everyone's situation is different. I own and run my own brick and mortar business, I also own 2 internet businesses, I have a 10 year old and 8 year old, I cook at the homeless shelter each Friday, and work in the nursery at church each Sunday (and this certainly is not everything I do each day.) I fit in some treadmill or workout videos where I can each week. I actually threw my back out shoveling snow so I was down for 12 days and still have to take it easy so I don't throw it out again. I just started using this app 4 days ago so it takes some getting used to.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    "This thing" spits out a computer generated number with what we input into it (but you probably know that). :) Are you sure you entered your stats in right? 1300 with no exercise still seems low.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This thing said I should lose 1 pound a week by January something. Sounds alright to me. Guys I wish exercising every day was that easy but everyone's situation is different. I own and run my own brick and mortar business, I also own 2 internet businesses, I have a 10 year old and 8 year old, I cook at the homeless shelter each Friday, and work in the nursery at church each Sunday (and this certainly is not everything I do each day.) I fit in some treadmill or workout videos where I can each week. I actually threw my back out shoveling snow so I was down for 12 days and still have to take it easy so I don't throw it out again. I just started using this app 4 days ago so it takes some getting used to.

You will have to work on eating volume foods, cook from scratch more often, and try to move more in general. You don't need formal exercise. You can walk more, park further way, take the stairs, etc..

ETA: if you end up losing more than 1 lb per week, you can update your settings because if you are fairly active (walking a lot), you could be under estimating your actively level
  • FernGitt
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean when you say I "set my deficit too high" and to "eat my exercise calories back." Take it easy on me, I'm a noob here ya know. ;)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you might need to adjust your activity level which will give you more calories. Try taking a peek at the calculators over at iifym.com, they have easy settings for how active you are on a daily basis. You can plug in the numbers you get from there on MFP if you want by adjusting your goals manually.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Most people stay within their budget by setting a higher budget. Mostly by setting their projected weight loss rate less ambitious, or in my case, just what I know works from past experience.

What did you set your activity level as? You don't sound sedentary. Higher activity levels should give you a higher goal.

1000 calories sounds like an awful lot for one slice of peanut butter on toast and a Lean Cuisine.
  • FernGitt
    Options
    I entered my correct height, age, and weight, etc. so I don't know how that could be wrong. ? I am a cook so yes, I make almost everything from scratch and eat at restaurants very little.
  • BrittanyCLaccetti
    BrittanyCLaccetti Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of helpful advice here- I second and third changing your weight loss goal to 1lb per week. My goal is 1,200 a day and when I notice I get pretty close I will throw in a jog or walk in my afternoon. Also, most vegetables have low calories. When I feel really hungry I will eat carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

My mornings usually start off with hard boiled eggs (which is great for protein) and for two of them it's about 140 calories. Nut butter will cost you that amount for 1 tsp.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I entered my correct height, age, and weight, etc. so I don't know how that could be wrong. ? I am a cook so yes, I make almost everything from scratch and eat at restaurants very little.

Is your lifestyle factor set at sedentary or lightly active.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Are you saying you actually picked 1lb/week as your goal?
    Go to your goals and check as I think you may be confusing the daily weight prediction with your goal setting.

Did you pick the right activity setting for your busy life?

Picking better foods helps - peanut butter is lovely but it's really a fat source and very calorie inefficient way to get protein in.

#1 is adherence, speed of loss is very much a minor concern unless you are morbidly obese. Don't make it harder than it has to be!