What can I make with Zucchini (courgette, squash)?

LadyLiege
LadyLiege Posts: 23
HELP!

My aunt has this wonderful vegetable and fruit garden down the road, and every now and then she brings me fresh produce from it. The last few days she has brought me LOADS of zucchinis (apparently they are doing very well in this weird weather).

Do you guys know any good recipes to use them? I have tried a couple of things and no-one likes them at home, so I'm stuck. I don't want to let them go to waste...

Replies

• bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    We use them alot in sir-fry, throw them in a wok/skillet with your favorite lean meat. We usually do Jimmy Dean's Turkey Crumbles, but, whatever you like will work. Then throw in whatever other veggies we have, tomatoes, beans, carrots, whatever you have and like. Usually throw in banana peppers or jalapenos to take it up a notch or two :-) Maybe add Salsa or sweet-n-sower to hold it together, or, leave it out. That's the beauty of stir-fry, can make it healthy with whatever you happen to have, including zucchini :-)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I made a fabulous dip with them at the weekend. Based on Baba Ganoush, but using courgette instead of aubergine (eggplant).

Slice them thickly and roast in the oven, OR cut into halves and griddle. I added salt and pepper to them during this stage. Once they're soft, blitz with some crushed garlic and a tablespoon of tahini.

That's it! Good with crackers, on toast, carrot sticks....
  • If they are small enough slice them in circles or chunk them put them in a baggie splash some olive oil on them, get them all covered put them on a grill pan or basket for veggies with your favorite seasonings, grill to crisp tender. Yummy!! If they are too big make Zucchini bread and give it a way, too delicious you'll want to eat the whole loaf.
  • rachdp
    rachdp Posts: 2
    Use them instead of pasta. I always make "courgette spaghetti".

Also, I'm probably not allowed to do this, but I posted as link to courgette brownies on my blog > http://rachphillips.com/low-carb-flourless-chocolate-brownies-with-courgettes/ you could have an experiment with those?

OR (sorry)

Chop up a load of veg - courgette, red onion, yellow peppers, mushrooms etc - pop over some herbs, olive oil and bung in the oven for about 20 mins
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Ratatouille
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Chocolate zucchini muffins. Go low fat using applesauce instead of oil. Just google it :) yum!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    My roommate loves zucchini pizzas! Slice them into think rounds, top with marinara sauce, shredded cheese & any italian herbs and spices (oregano, basil, black pepper). Put in the oven until cheese has melted and zucchinis are a bit soft! I believe around 350 for 20 minutes, give or take.

My favorite is zucchini spaghetti, think someone else mentioned this too. I use a kitchen tool off of Amazon that cuts zucchinis into thin pasta-like strands and saute it on the stove. I add mushrooms, tomatoes, avocados and then vegan sausage to the dish with rosemary/sea salt/pepper/basil, it's delicious!
  • tram54
    tram54 Posts: 6
    I add them to frozen bags of stir-fry vegetables (last thing in the pan so they don't get mushy), or I also enjoy just lightly steaming cut up zucchini and adding to canned stewed tomatoes for a zucchini and tomato side dish.
  • Soup!! Blend it, or add it to a vegetable broth.

I usually have courgette with most my home made meals.

Spag bol- I usally top it up with courgettes and peppers so I can cut down the amount of spaghetti.

Weirdly good with currys as well especially those that are tomato based.

Grill courgettes with peppers, onions and carrots, and have it with chicken.

Tasty with a strong cheese too. (Just melt the cheese on top!)
  • ejc1977
    ejc1977 Posts: 1 Member
    I love them so I use them in anything...brush thin slices with oil and broil, use as pizza topping. But my family isnt crazy about them, so since it's not a super robust flavor it's great to hide and bulk up things like meatloaf or spaghetti sauce...it's easy to hide and boost nutrients, cut calories. Here's a great veggie chili recipe. It's so good! http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=60731&sc=3024 enjoy :-)
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Do you have a cooking stone? This is what I LOVE to do with the big zucchini my parents give me:

Panko bread crumbs, seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
    Vegetable Spray
    One egg beaten with two tablespoons of light Daisy sour cream
    Zucchini medalions (sliced about 1/4 inch each)
    Freshly shredded parmesan

Preheat oven to 425
    Spray your stone with vegetable oil
    Dredge each slice of zucchini in the egg wash and shake off excess
    Press into breadcrumb mixture
    Place on stone. Repeat with all the slices
    Spritz each one with vegetable oil
    Bake for 10 minutes, till you see the edges are golden brown.
    Carefully flip and top each with a pinch of cheese
    Bake another ten minutes, or until golden brown/cheese is bubbly and golden

Serve with marinara sauce and a small side of thin spaghetti.

YUM!!
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Do you have a cooking stone? This is what I LOVE to do with the big zucchini my parents give me:

Panko bread crumbs, seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
    Vegetable Spray
    One egg beaten with two tablespoons of light Daisy sour cream
    Zucchini medalions (sliced about 1/4 inch each)
    Freshly shredded parmesan

Preheat oven to 425
    Spray your stone with vegetable oil
    Dredge each slice of zucchini in the egg wash and shake off excess
    Press into breadcrumb mixture
    Place on stone. Repeat with all the slices
    Spritz each one with vegetable oil
    Bake for 10 minutes, till you see the edges are golden brown.
    Carefully flip and top each with a pinch of cheese
    Bake another ten minutes, or until golden brown/cheese is bubbly and golden

Serve with marinara sauce and a small side of thin spaghetti.

YUM!!
    Yeah, this too!!! Kind of like how we also do fried green tomatoes.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    grill, saute or oven roast all kinds of summer veggies for a colorful mixture of heaven:
    <<zucchini, summer squash, carrots, small cherry tomatoes, onion or scallions, red or yellow pepper.>>
    marinate with just a little really good olive oil, salt, pepper and any other fresh herbs you have from the garden.

Keep a container always in the fridge, and you'd be amazed at what it makes better:
    omeletes
    bruschetta or pizza
    pasta - served hot, or pasta salad
    add to a greek salad, for a dinner entree
    add to a turkey wrap or make a veggie wrap
    add to rice for a wonderful, colorful "side"
    wrap leftover veggies and rice into eggroll wrappers and bake for crispy low fat eggrolls

The possibilities are endless. Good eating.
  • LadyLiege
    LadyLiege Posts: 23
    WOW!!! So many great ideas out there! Thanks sooo much, I have so many of them to use up that I think I'll be able to try at least 3 or 4 of these ideas! YAY!
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    I like slicing or dicing zucchini, mushrooms, yellow squash, onion, tomatoes and sautéing them in very little olive oil then I add a can of pizza sauce and let them simmer for a little bit. Just before removing I grate a little parmesan on top. You can add or remove what ingredients you want. Once in a while I will treat myself and add a little turkey pepperoni.
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Bump
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    If they are small enough slice them in circles or chunk them put them in a baggie splash some olive oil on them, get them all covered

I do this and then sprinkle them with parmesan cheese and bake them. Yummy
  • swatkins7485
    swatkins7485 Posts: 9 Member
    If you have lots you can grate them up and put them in freezer bags and freeze it for later!!