Is there point exercising?

Options
My stomach is really big - is there any point doing crunches and stuff yet? Surely it won't make a difference. Thanks.

Replies

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Crunches will not make your stomach go flat, loosing fat will. So if that is the only goal you have, crunches are not your answer reducing your calorie intake is. There is a saying that six pack abs are not created in the gym, but in the kitchen.

With that said, the more exercise you do, the faster the fat is reduced, thereby reducing the mid section. Not to mention all the other benefits that go along with regular exercise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My stomach is really big - is there any point doing crunches and stuff yet? Surely it won't make a difference. Thanks.

It won't magically make your stomach smaller if that's what you mean. But there are so many benefits to exercise beyond a flat tummy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Is there point exercising?

There is a point for me! It's why I lost the weight!

I wanted to be able to do everything I did just a few years before, before I gained the weight ... all the long distance cycling, the hiking up mountains. I love spending long hours outdoors being active and always have done. It's refreshing and energising and challenging and adventurous. It keeps me from being bored and depressed. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. It allowed me to meet like-minded people (including my husband). I could go on and on ...

And the last thing I wanted to do was to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2017 as a dumpy, frumpy woman who looked closer to 60 than 50, and couldn't do anything anymore.

In order to be able to reclaim my life, I needed to exercise! I wanted to exercise!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Exercise makes you feel good and is generally good for your body, but if your top priority is losing weight and you're really big, it's the calories coming in to focus on. Something like walking might be a better way to go than hammering out abdominal crunches at this point.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I walk and lift for my sanity. ;)
  • soda80
    soda80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    if for nothing else, just for the better sleep
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The muscles are still there under the fat, exercising them will still make them stronger. Not everything is about appearance.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required but is very beneficial. However crunch's or direct ab work is not.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for you. It improves your health, plus burns calories so that you can eat more! As far as crunches go, they will develop your core muscles and such, which is good, but the only th8ng that will reduce your stomach is to reduce your overall body fat by way of a calorie deficit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Exercise is fun!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Yes and no. Yes there is a point, the point is to build muscle in those areas. No, it won't make a big difference in the size of your belly. The only thing that will make that difference will be eating at a deficit and losing weight and burning fat. But, if you do the crunches (or core exercises of your choice) then you'll have muscle waiting when you do lose it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    The point of exercise is for health and fitness. People can lose weight without it, but weight loss also affects how much lean muscle one keeps (atrophy). Exercise helps to retain that muscle, helps to strengthen it and overall helps with a higher calorie expenditure.
    And it doesn't have to be hours and hours of exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Spot reduction isn't a thing. Fat can only be lost with a calorie deficit. If I were you, I would definitely still exercise to start a healthy habit but I would focus on incorporating cardio instead of weight training (or even bodyweight circuits). Not sure what your CW and GW are but when you get closer to the GW you will want to start incorporating weight training, doing core circuits and what not so you can reveal muscle below the fat!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required but is very beneficial. However crunch's or direct ab work is not.

I was going to say the same thing. You would benefit more from a simply 30-60 minute walk than from doing crunches. Walking is a great way to start to get active. It is weight bearing, so it is good for the bones that support your body as well. If you increase the speed you walk to a brisk walk there is additional cardiovascular benefits as well.