How many calories burned doing...

Options
The app has a list of exercises that are a great help in calculating the calories used in very particular ways. Is there anywhere though with other lists? Either that or is the a calculator online into which you put mass, distance, time, reps etc, and it gives you the calories burnt off?
For example, when trying to find indoor exercise values, I find the calories burned during fourteen types of skiing, but none for dumbbells. Not strength bodybuilding stuff, but cardio dumbbell stuff.
Help.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Record it as strength training under cardio
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    There is mostly anecdotal evidence for estimates for cardio using kettlebells.

You may want to start with these sites; most online activity calculators use the METs (metabolic equivalent for tasks) equation for simple estimates based on general population distributions of the same body weight. Also, note that the estimates provided include your BMR, so you will want to subtract your BMR from any estimate given during the activity period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/

http://calorielab.com/burned/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The app has a list of exercises that are a great help in calculating the calories used in very particular ways. Is there anywhere though with other lists? Either that or is the a calculator online into which you put mass, distance, time, reps etc, and it gives you the calories burnt off?
    For example, when trying to find indoor exercise values, I find the calories burned during fourteen types of skiing, but none for dumbbells. Not strength bodybuilding stuff, but cardio dumbbell stuff.
    Help.

There is no calculator because no reliable calculator exists or currently can exist for those activities.

• TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    Record it as strength training under cardio

Thanks
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    There is mostly anecdotal evidence for estimates for cardio using kettlebells.

You may want to start with these sites; most online activity calculators use the METs (metabolic equivalent for tasks) equation for simple estimates based on general population distributions of the same body weight. Also, note that the estimates provided include your BMR, so you will want to subtract your BMR from any estimate given during the activity period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/

http://calorielab.com/burned/

Nice one my friend. Thanks.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Help.

There is no calculator because no reliable calculator exists or currently can exist for those activities.

Really?
    You're telling me people can calculate payloads, trajectories, velocity, etc, etc, and put a space ship on an asteroid; they can do all that sub atomic stuff in the Large Hardon Calluder, yet can't work out my dumbbell press calories?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Help.

Really?
    You're telling me people can calculate payloads, trajectories, velocity, etc, etc, and put a space ship on an asteroid; they can do all that sub atomic stuff in the Large Hardon Calluder, yet can't work out my dumbbell press calories?

Precisely that. There are many ways to estimate but there are infinite variables to consider so cannot be calculated.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

No. They can put you in a metabolic chamber or a respirator mask or something, and figure out how many calories your dumbbell press burns. It might cost $10,000, and it won't say anything about what my dumbbell press burns. Reliable calculators tell you that walking burns 1/3 your body weight (in lbs) per mile, which is in the right ballpark for everybody.

Subatomic particles operate under deterministic laws. You've seen one electron, you've seen 'em all. Humans are very different. When we land a ship on an asteroid, it's using well understood and well tested physics, and we're landing on an asteroid, not all the asteroids.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are you doing cardio+ dumbbell exercises, like circuits? You can log that as circuit training. Otherwise, just use the strength training option.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options

No. They can put you in a metabolic chamber or a respirator mask or something, and figure out how many calories your dumbbell press burns. It might cost $10,000, and it won't say anything about what my dumbbell press burns. Reliable calculators tell you that walking burns 1/3 your body weight (in lbs) per mile, which is in the right ballpark for everybody.

Subatomic particles operate under deterministic laws. You've seen one electron, you've seen 'em all. Humans are very different. When we land a ship on an asteroid, it's using well understood and well tested physics, and we're landing on an asteroid, not all the asteroids.

Very interesting and well put post. I'm not looking for accuracy though, more a ballpark number. For the sake of a cod liver oil tablet (about 15 cal I believe) or two, arms lefts etc will make small differences. Obviously an elephant carrying it's own weight will involve a greater expenditure of energy than a scurrying mouse, but surely bench pressing light resistance things like bean cans etc is much of a muchness for everyone.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Options
    Are you doing cardio+ dumbbell exercises, like circuits? You can log that as circuit training. Otherwise, just use the strength training option.

Fast reps, light weight for cardio and toning.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Fast reps, light weight for cardio and toning.

Just log it as circuit training. That's not strength training.