Night time hunger

So lately I've been getting reeaaaallly hunger at night. Often times I'm so hungry that I have to get up between 11-2am to have a snack so I can sleep. I'm eating plenty of calories (1600-1750) and have even tried have tried planning small snacks closer to bed time. Any suggestions to curb the night time hunger?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    More protein at dinner might help. It keeps you full longer. I also find that if I'm really hungry, an ounce of cheese will fill the hole. Or a glass of milk.
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    What is your water intake like? I would try downing a few glasses of water first and see if you're still hungry!
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Eat your dinner later in the night like 8pm and make sure you have enough protein and fiber and water to keep you full
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Why can't you just ignore hunger during the night? you are training your body to need to wake up for food. Drink a glass of water if it happens again.
    If you eat a good filling dinner, plenty of protein/fat/fibre aren't really hungry, its more likely just thirst.
  • melzybelzy1989
    melzybelzy1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Water makes me more hunagry ;(. And certaintly does not fill me up. I usually use all my calories by 6 pm and go to bed hungary ;(
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Can you open your diary please?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Save calories for later in the day.

Make sure you're not aiming for a too aggressive weekly weight loss. Losing less per week gives you more calories and is easier to stick to.

What's your height/weight/goal/weekly loss goal?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    In your meals, Add more fat, and reduce carbs (with the exception of fibre...keep the fibre high). Carbs burn fast, and induce hunger. Fat burns very, very slowly. But, only healthy fats (no vegetable oils, soya oils, corn oils, margarine, etc). Choose something healthy like avocado, macadamia nuts, eggs, or coconut oil. This is what works for me...I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I read the title as "night time burger." And while reading most of the OP I still thought this was about eating a burger at night....

I try to save a good amount of calories for my last meal and eat later in the evening. Protein and fiber seems to keep me full.
    I guess my suggestion is to have a night time burger..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    This may be a minority report, but I've read other people saying it, so I'll toss it in as another strategy you could experiment with:

I found my late evening cravings were greatly reduced when I ate a solid breakfast, with plenty of protein, and adequate protein throughout the day. The breakfast part appeared to be particularly important, for me. I have no idea why, but it worked.