Amount of sugar in foods

Options
20g of sugar in one can of Heinz Beanz - ridiculous, isn't it?

Since I assume it's in the liquid I've decided to have the beans only ... should make a difference, shouldn't it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you need to watch sugar? If you don't, just track calories.

Bakes beans? Kind of pointless to throw away the tomato sauce, that's what makes bakes beans so great. If you just want beans, buy just beans.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not a macronutrient or something that needs to be restricted without medical reasons. Sugar is not inherently bad.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I ate soup yesterday that had 30g of sugar in it, still ended the day within my calorie targets :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you need to watch sugar? If you don't, just track calories.

Bakes beans? Kind of pointless to throw away the tomato sauce, that's what makes bakes beans so great. If you just want beans, buy just beans.

Exactly this. (And who knows how much of the sauce is seemed into the beans already, so if you dump the sauce hard to log properly. But of course there are lots of plain canned beans, even low sodium, and of course they are cheapest dried anyway if you have time to deal with them or plan ahead.)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Did I really misspell "baked" - twice? :s And I didn't see it until now? :o
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Heh, I didn't even notice it. Sometimes the eye supplies what's supposed to be there. ;-)
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The amount of added sugar in foods is ridiculous.
    The average person has about 20 teaspoons a day and food aimed at children has even more.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Libellue23 wrote: »
    The amount of added sugar in foods is ridiculous.
    The average person has about 20 teaspoons a day and food aimed at children has even more.

It's actually kind of hard to estimate what the average person consumes in added sugar: https://www.statnews.com/2016/09/20/sugar-consumption-americans/

Also, disparities are so great that it's largely meaningless (one factor is that people who drink soda tend to drink a lot of added sugar, but many people rarely or never drink sugary soda).

The major sources of added sugar in the US diet are also things that are really obviously sweetened (here's one source but there are some other good ones with more details: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp#). Thus, the idea that it's because it's in "everything" (it's not) or hard to avoid eating lots (again, not) is wrong. Mostly it comes from the obvious culprits: soda and energy drinks and juice, sweets, sweetened yogurt and cereal, stuff like that.

I cut out added sugar for a while and it wasn't hard, and while I don't think that's necessary I think it's easy to stick around the WHO recommended amounts most of the time (with exceptions for special occasions, maybe).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    Worry about what you consume, not everyone e else.

Great point.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say yes probably most of that sugar is in the sauce. I doubt the beans themselves have much in them.