What is your strategy

zenalasca
zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
Whenever I have found myself in a new environment I realised pretty quickly that I needed to think of a new strategy to prevent going over in my calories. Here are some of mine, but anyone feel free to share yours :bigsmile:

- It's easier to eat less when you're making a meal for 2.
- Dumplings take a long time to prepare and are pretty low in calories.
- If you're having instant noodles, leafy veg such as spinach and kale are great for bulking it out.
- If you eat a small amount of meat with a large salad it is more satisfying than just having either thing.
- Tea infusions can satisfy cravings for sweets without the calories.
- Half the amount of oil in baking recipes can be substituted for mashed banana, avocado or Greek yogurt.
- High calorie, low volume foods can be made into manageable meals by adding them to veg soups or salads.
- Baking can be done with a smaller volume of ingredients.
- Baking can be shared.
- Baking is cheap, so fail recipes shouldn't really be saved unless you can stifle the urge to eat them all in one go.
- Dieting starts at the supermarket — start in the fresh food section and purge any naughty foods at the end of your trip.
- Go grocery shopping with the focus of getting foods that will help you achieve your goals.
- When at events, only nibble at things or get extremely small servings. Just to get the taste.
- Eat at regular and fixed times.
- Eat slowly.
- Sit down to eat using appropriate crockery and cutletry.
- If you're eating out and unsure how many calories you're having, only eat half of your food.
- Try to get enough fibre, protein, iron, calcium and vitamin C in your diet.
- Save food you're craving for later and plan when it will be eaten.
- Brush teeth carefully after eating.
- Create a policy of limiting unhealthy foods in some way, (such as only eating it to try something new out in my case)
- Be extremely snobbish about the food other people prepare for you (but not in a rude way, just in a "I'm not that hungry" way)

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Buy a Large lid cup so I can put the water I'm suppose to drink for the day in it. That way I know when it's empty I've had my water. (Starting this today!)
    Food Prep my dinners so they are ready to eat when I get home and I don't have to "think" of what to cook, it's already done.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Addition to the sitting down with cutlery point, put down your knife and fork between each mouthful. This used to be considered just good manners but seems to be something very few people do now.