Fitbit questions

Options
Thinking of treating myself to a Fitbit for Christmas but have a few questions.
Can you use it for working out in the gym?
Do you have to have your phone with you for it to sync or can you do that when you get home?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    yes - I use mine for tracking gym time every day. it will sync when it is in range of the phone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, when I had a Fitbit I had a dumb phone. It couldn't sync through my phone. They come with a USB dongle that lets them sync through your computer, too. That dongle thing went on my home computer. I'd go out and use my Fitbit all day, at work or on the weekend, and it would sync when it was able to.

I hiked from Cascade Pass to Stehekin with a Fitbit; it spent about a week with no signal or electricity. The battery and memory both lasted through the trip and all the data got where it needed to be when I came back to civilization.

That was years ago. You won't need to be married to your phone.
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great! One of the main reasons I wanted one was so I can leave my phone behind as that's what I'm using to track at the moment
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a Fitbit in years, I'm using a Garmin now. I bike a lot and my Garmin has bike features that are very compelling, so don't take that as a knock against Fitbit. And what I'm about to say applies to both.

When I get to work, I usually set my phone down on my desk. And when I get home, I put it on a shelf or table or something, and go about my day. I don't want it in my pocket all the time, it's big, I like being comfortable.

When I get a text, my Garmin shows it to me. When I get an email, my watch shows me the subject line. When I get a phone call, my watch tells me and says who's calling. My phone is on a shelf somewhere buzzing, and I don't have to go find it to know why. I already have a pretty good idea whether it's important or not before I get up (or decide not to). I bought mine for serious exercise and thought that feature would be a gimmick, but since it's actually very useful and it means I spend even less time attached to my phone. Fitbits have the same feature, basically. Sounds like you'll like it.