Carpal tunnel and weight lifting

Options
Is it a bad idea? I'm asking on behalf of my wife. Her symptoms are manageable with a splint which she only wears once a week or so, and occasional icing.

She's been losing weight, but has expressed an interest in both cardio and strength training, primarily strength due to the benefits for older (55) women. I'm obviously a bit concerned...I've seen her when it gets bad, and I really don't want her to injure herself...

Thanks in advance for any tips folks :)

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I get that when I do heavy raking, shoveling, sweeping... I am fine with barbell strength training. Maybe it is the low-reps. I am 55.

ETA: ALCiS cream helped relieve my tendon pain.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    @rileyes Thank you! I showed her your tip about the Alcis cream, she's never tried it and is going to get some. :)

Remains to be seen if she'll go for the barbells lol, but she's interested.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think a physiotherapist/doctor might be better positioned to give you definitive answers. but fwiw, i don't think there's a single strength-training thing i've heard of where it was NOT recommended that you keep your wrists straight so as to protect both the joint and the nerve.

my lifts are squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press and pendlay rows, just to give you the context for them. bench and ohp would be the biggest risk lifts, i think - for squats you dont' have to wrap your hand round the bar if it's not comfortable. for bench, ohp there is a tendency/temptation ot let the wrists bend, but the ideal form has the bar in the heel of the hand with the wrists perfectly straight all the time.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I am 42 and have mild carpal tunnel syndrome due to spending 12 years typing for a living. I started doing barbell strength training two years ago, and then started doing CrossFit this past January. I've never had any issue with either of them causing my CTS to flare up at all.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    1) Wrist wraps (or other wrist support)
    2) Avoid exercises with excessive wrist bending

My carpal tunnel is bad enough to require a splint daily and I can still lift hundreds of pounds so she'll probably be fine with 1) and/or 2) above.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    i think a physiotherapist/doctor might be better positioned to give you definitive answers. but fwiw, i don't think there's a single strength-training thing i've heard of where it was NOT recommended that you keep your wrists straight so as to protect both the joint and the nerve.

my lifts are squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press and pendlay rows, just to give you the context for them. bench and ohp would be the biggest risk lifts, i think - for squats you dont' have to wrap your hand round the bar if it's not comfortable. for bench, ohp there is a tendency/temptation ot let the wrists bend, but the ideal form has the bar in the heel of the hand with the wrists perfectly straight all the time.
    Thanks for the tips. I've read that the pendlays are a fantastic exercise ...
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    For what it's worth, I am 42 and have mild carpal tunnel syndrome due to spending 12 years typing for a living. I started doing barbell strength training two years ago, and then started doing CrossFit this past January. I've never had any issue with either of them causing my CTS to flare up at all.

Typing is how hers developed too, 25 years worth - good to know that you haven't had any flare ups, thanks.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    1) Wrist wraps (or other wrist support)
    2) Avoid exercises with excessive wrist bending

My carpal tunnel is bad enough to require a splint daily and I can still lift hundreds of pounds so she'll probably be fine with 1) and/or 2) above.

Awesome, thank you :)

She'll most likely wrap before lifting as well.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

i have a big love-hate thing with them.

thinking this over some more i decided to add something about the overhead press and bench press. i don' tknow if what i have is carpal tunnel, but i cycle a lot and have noticed that i am a little prone to pins and needles in the thumb and first two fingers of my right hand. if there's any lift that aggravates this, it's the overhead press. even with perfect form, you still have the bar pressing on the heel of your hand. and since the barbell is a straight line, you don't have much room to make tiny micro-adjustments or deviations that can make a difference sometimes.

so just wanted to shout out for dumbbells or kettlebells. bottoms-up kettlebell grip places the handle more in the centre of your palm, and the 'thrust-through' grip where the bell lies against your wrist also keeps it higher. the handle rests in that web between finger and thumb, instead of slipping down lower than that.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have other wrist mobility issues. I can't bend my wrists back with any pressure on them at all (e.g., I can't do pushups or planks unless I'm doing them on my knuckles with a straight wrist). I do barbell training with wrist wraps to ensure that my wrists are straight at all times. I may lose a little of the forearm strengthening benefits of doing it without wraps, but it's worth it for me not to be in severe pain for days if I slip and let me wrists bend under weight.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

i have a big love-hate thing with them.

thinking this over some more i decided to add something about the overhead press and bench press. i don' tknow if what i have is carpal tunnel, but i cycle a lot and have noticed that i am a little prone to pins and needles in the thumb and first two fingers of my right hand. if there's any lift that aggravates this, it's the overhead press. even with perfect form, you still have the bar pressing on the heel of your hand. and since the barbell is a straight line, you don't have much room to make tiny micro-adjustments or deviations that can make a difference sometimes.

so just wanted to shout out for dumbbells or kettlebells. bottoms-up kettlebell grip places the handle more in the centre of your palm, and the 'thrust-through' grip where the bell lies against your wrist also keeps it higher. the handle rests in that web between finger and thumb, instead of slipping down lower than that.
    She gets those pins and needles badly sometimes. It's mostly a complete loss of strength in her hands + pain when she has a flare up. Think dropping your coffee cup just because your hand felt like letting go and you have no say in the matter.

I can see the ohp causing issues due to weight on the wrist. There's going to be some trial and error here for sure.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I don't have carpal tunnel, but I have other wrist mobility issues. I can't bend my wrists back with any pressure on them at all (e.g., I can't do pushups or planks unless I'm doing them on my knuckles with a straight wrist). I do barbell training with wrist wraps to ensure that my wrists are straight at all times. I may lose a little of the forearm strengthening benefits of doing it without wraps, but it's worth it for me not to be in severe pain for days if I slip and let me wrists bend under weight.

Sounds like your symptoms are similar and she'll wrap tight for a workout. She may even see if she can lift with her splint + wrap. Time will tell...and thanks for the input :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I have mild carpel tunnel and have noticed a difference with massage. I see someone once a week for a full body and wrists are included.

Others have some great suggestions. If hers is really bad (as it seems it is) would surgery be a viable option?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have mild carpel tunnel and have noticed a difference with massage. I see someone once a week for a full body and wrists are included.

Others have some great suggestions. If hers is really bad (as it seems it is) would surgery be a viable option?

Massage helps her as well. Regarding the surgery though, her doctor recommended against it unless it gets bad enough that she can't get relief.