Post-Surgery Gain Experiences?

Options
So I had an emergency appendectomy on Wednesday afternoon and came home this morning because I am doing awesome recovery wise, had 8km in on Thursday and am well past it for today. I've actually never been so pleased that I chose not to just lose weight but to get fit a year ago because my fitness level and being in "great shape" (debatable but whatever, set me free! lol) is what got me out of there according to the surgeon.

When I came home I was up basically 15lbs. Now I'm not stupid, until noon today I hadn't eaten in almost 72 hours so I know it isn't "real" gains but more likely slowed waste in transit and water/inflammation weight.

My question is, for those who have experienced significant scale gains post surgery (my stomach is also terribly bloated out but I was told that is typical of abdominal surgery) how long did it take to shift that weight again? How long until you shifted the god awful bloating? Kind of embarassing that we'll be going back home for Christmas and now I look way bigger than I usually do -_-

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It took a couple of weeks for me, I peed all day long. Whoosh!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep. Couple of weeks and drinking lots and lots of water to flush things out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,204 Member
    Options
    Yeah, around the 2-3 weeks range for me, after gallbladder removal. One caution, in case you're still working on losing more: I stuck with my deficit after surgery, and ended up wishing I had gone to or near maintenance for a couple of weeks after surgery instead. I think the deficit eating made the recovery process slower, and led to more fatigue than necessary. YMMV, but I personally wouldn't repeat doing it the way I did.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic tubal ligation on December 1. Was 149lb morning of surgery. The next morning I was 156lb. Bounced around between 153-158 for a couple days, then about a week after the surgery was down to 151. I've just been eating to hunger and taking it easy. Was 150 this morning, but my belly is still a little sore and...not really "bloated"...slightly swollen? It takes time for your body to heal. I would also recommend eating at maintenance at least until you're feeling back to normal. Your body requires the energy, and especially protein, to heal.

Oh, and lots of narcotic pain killers cause constipation. If you are on pain meds I highly recommend a daily stool softener (colace) and lots of water!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Every surgery or procedure or whatever I have results in a bit of a gain. Even my recent root canal ... and I don't eat much on root canal days.

This week, I had quite a stressful week which involved a bit more exercise than usual at the beginning of the week and then a minor procedure on Thursday.

Friday morning I was up about 2 kg. Friday, I went to the toilet all day long. This morning I've dropped 1.5 kg. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    Also, if you fly, you'll likely gain a kg or two as well.

There are a lot of things which cause us to retain water.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses! Today I'm six days post-op (get my staples out tomorrow!!!) and have actually lost below my last pre-surgery weight. It's a Christmas miracle ;)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself for at least 10 days after surgery...between the medications, swelling and fluid retention, you aren't going to get accurate numbers for quite a while.

I've had seven surgeries over the last ten years, and I always maintain or lose a bit, even with no exercise and a less regimented diet.

Hope that you keep feeling better and better!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Thanks all for your responses! Today I'm six days post-op (get my staples out tomorrow!!!) and have actually lost below my last pre-surgery weight. It's a Christmas miracle ;)

Thanks for coming back and updating!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds from a hip surgery, like everyone else said, 2-3 days.

Then I lost another 5 in the healing process. But gained it back once I resumed some activities.