Lactose free cheese options?

Hi all,

I have an allergy to lactose I decided to just put a little bit of goat cheese in my wrap less then a tablespoon and I got really sick from it. Is their any other types of cheeses or anything that I can have? Is their such a thing as lactose free goat cheese?

Thanks!

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Try the Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds from Trader Joes. Super good macros and it tastes great!
  • missgold2
    missgold2 Posts: 18 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Try the Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds from Trader Joes. Super good macros and it tastes great![/quote

I'm from Canada and we don't have Trader joes over here :'(
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Typically people who are lactose intolerant can deal with goat milk/cheese/yogurt... So don't be surprised if lactose free products don't fit the bill either.

I don't know where you are loceted in Canada, but most regular grocery store carry lactose free cheeses and dairy, right next to the regular ones in the dairy section.

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Most hard cheeses (think aged cheddar) are so low in lactose that most lactose intolerant people can digest them. The fresh ones (mozzarella, brie) usually have more lactose, and are harder to digest.

Of course, vegan cheeses (like Daiya and Follow Your Heart) are lactose- free by default.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    Most hard cheeses (think aged cheddar) are so low in lactose that most lactose intolerant people can digest them. The fresh ones (mozzarella, brie) usually have more lactose, and are harder to digest.

This is absolutely correct. Those who react to aged cheeses with the same symptoms that they react to other milk products are probably sensitive to something other than lactose, perhaps some dairy protein.
  • satchattack
    satchattack Posts: 2 Member
    Cabot cheddar cheese is naturally lactose free. I am lactose intolerant and even the smallest amount of lactose will give me a stomach ache the next day. But I have no issues with eating Cabot cheddar!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I eat almond cheese.