where do you get your protein?

Options
Im aiming for the 1g/lb of protein. However i found that it will be difficult to consume that much. I eat a ton of eggs and protein shakes. Where are you guys getting yours?

Replies

• 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lean meat (mostly chicken breast) and Siggi's skyr style yogurt.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In an average day:
    Eggs
    Bread
    Milk
    Cottage cheese or yogurt
    Granola bar (Nature Valley or Kashi)
    Assorted veggies
    Meat
    And then possibly protein powder
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, canned tuna, chicken, ground turkey and beef, and the occasional protein bar which is more because I need to work out soon and am running out of time to fuel properly.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Protein shakes or bars
    Nuts
    Tuna
    Chicken breast
    Cheese (especially cottage cheese)
    Greek yogurt
    and milk.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My main/usual protein sources:

Greek yogurt
    Eggs/egg whites
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork
    Salmon
    Cod
    Tuna (canned and filets)
    Milk
    Jerky (beef, elk, ostrich, etc.)
    Cottage cheese
    Protein shakes/bars
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I get about 1/2 of my daily intake of protein (which averages 181g/day based on a 40P/40C/20F Macro on 1800-1900 net cals/day) ) from protein powder, drinks and bars. The rest comes from soymilk, chicken, turkey, steak, tilapia and salmon and a variety of other food including but not limited to eggs, nuts, tofu, canned seafood (tuna, mackeral & sardines) and such.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not aiming so high, but I get about 40% of my protein from meat, fish and seafood. About 20% from eggs and diary. About 40% from vegetable sources including grains, legumes, nuts and other vegetables.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs
    Stew meat
    Protein powder and bars
    Tuna
    Various chicken parts
    Various turkey parts
    I'd eat an entire pig, eyes and all if given the chance

I actually have to pay more attention to the other macros, or I'd end up over 400g/day protein without even trying.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Rice
    Bread
    Trail mix
    Nut butters
    Whole grains
    Oatmeal
    Whey concentrate
    Whole fat milk
    Beef
    Pork
    Chicken
    Chickpeas
    Eggs
    Turkey
  • csaadtrihi
    csaadtrihi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    for me and because i am from morroco and anchovies are very cheap here ( 4 kilos for 1$ )
    i eat them a lot CHECK them on google -great nutritional values-.
    i don't know the price of anchovies in your country but they will be pretty high i think.
    so protein for you gonna be expensive ( HARD TRUTH )
    i have the same goals as you 2 g/KILO and that cost me only 0.15$
    if you are on a budget try protein powder whey maybe but it will still expensive.
    HARD TRUTH and you must accept it.
    or you can go to lentils but you must eat half kilo of them. you can't do it with cooking on with water and oil but you can try something like throwing them on an empty pan and let them burn then make them like a powder and store them then you do some math to fill you shaker add water and drink the *kitten*
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    csaadtrihi wrote: »
    for me and because i am from morroco and anchovies are very cheap here ( 4 kilos for 1$ )

8.8# of anchovies for $1?? That's about 11.3 cents per pound or less than 3/4 cent per ounce. Could never beat that price for any seafood.

Best price I've ever gotten for seafood was $1 for a 10 oz of canned mackeral or 7 oz can of sardines at my local Dollar Store, which cost about 10-12 cents an ounce. Good source of protein at about 42-65g per can. Still have a lot of both in my pantry.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like to get protein from food and tbh 1g per 1lb sounds like too much, like unnecessary.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    My bf
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, dairy, eggs, poultry, beef, pork, sausage. I am pleased to get 107 g daily which is easy with 1 protein shake, 2 eggs, and 6 ounces of the various beasts. The amount to aim for is 1 gram/1 kilogram of body weight. American bros tend to not know the difference between pounds and kilograms.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1gr per pound is a lot. What do you weigh?

At 4k calories and only aiming for 150ish, it's pretty easy for me to get enough.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, stews, black coffee, quesadillas, lentils, beans, cheese, eggs, oatmeal, rice, potatoes...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, broccoli, spinach and edamame. The majority of my protein (unfortunately) comes from my one protein shake x day. IsoPure Zero Carb has 50 g of protein for 210 calories. Best macros I've found. That gets me to almost half of my goal and I reach the remainder with real food on most days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    Try this thread:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

You're welcome!

P.S. How much are you trying to get? I'm assuming you eat meat/fish. I'm a 61-year-old woman weighing in the 120s, and getting a minimum of 100g (often substantially more) on a vegetarian diet. Seems like it would be easy, eating meat.

Review your diary daily, look for things that bring relatively many calories but no protein, and substitute some food(s) you enjoy that do have protein. I predict you'll be surprised how fast it adds up.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Today I'm getting 50g from the Subway sub I'm eating for lunch and then I'll get 10 more grams from the oatmeal supper I'm having. This is more than my minimum protein requirements.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat 140/150g a day, and haven't used protein powder/bars in months.

Lean meat (chicken breast, roo, steak, white fish), eggs, dairy (Yoghurt, cheese) and I eat mountains of vegies - the protein from them adds up quite quickly. Nuts have a little...