Half marathon training in the cold

Options
Running my 3rd half marathon in March - Really working towards getting a PR. Any training plans that anyone has found helpful?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've run my fastest half when training for a full. Lots and lots of miles. Any training plan is going to depend on where you are starting from. If you really want to PR, try building to as much volume as safely possible, while Including a tempo and an LSD each week.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    What were you using for your past races? How many miles a week were you averaging? More miles will make a big difference. Doing at least one day a week of speedwork (tempo, hills and intervals) will also help.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I've run my fastest half when training for a full. Lots and lots of miles. Any training plan is going to depend on where you are starting from. If you really want to PR, try building to as much volume as safely possible, while Including a tempo and an LSD each week.

I ran my fastest half training for my full too!

Op-do you have a gym you can go to with an awful dreadmill? I personally would rather run in -5 degree weather than to run on a treadmill. I have run a half while training only on a treadmill, but my joints hurt after the half so I always make sure to get one run a week on pavement.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kmarie1717 wrote: »
    Running my 3rd half marathon in March - Really working towards getting a PR. Any training plans that anyone has found helpful?

So may variable than mean that any specific recommendations are meaningless. What's your current PR, what sort of terrain is the race on, what's your current training volume and what sort of plans have you used in the past.

Getting to a sub 2hr outcome is very different to getting to a sub 90 minute outcome.

As above, the general principle to apply is lots of volume. At least one, possibly two, back to back LSDs per week and one speed session; tempo, cruise intervals or sprint intervals.