300 club

Options
Savagedistraction
Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
edited December 2016 in Chit-Chat
Any other minimalists out there? My goal in 2017 is to reduce the number of things I own to 300 or less. Tired of having so much crap I never use or has no use (ornaments and such). Any other minimalists here?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    While I don't have, a specific #; I don't have any decorations and/or items, that aren't functional! I have increased, my kitchen items though because I batch cook now & bought exercise equipment because otherwise I wouldn't, regularly exercise!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought this was about a club for people that like the movie.
  • SuperNerd42
    SuperNerd42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow! I own easily twice that in just books. Impressive!
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lol. I am controversial sometimes this is probably one of my more tame post and this is the one that gets flagged?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I used to be, then..... marriage & kids.

Now, striving to return to a more streamlined lifestyle.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Who flagged the OP?!

@JoyMaillet welcome to the "i have haters" club.

Post Reported.
  • Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My fishing gear alone exceeds 300. This won't be a club I join. That said, I've been entertaining the idea of being a minimalist when it comes to trash.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »
    Any other minimalists out there? My goal in 2017 is to reduce the number of things I own to 300 or less. Tired of having so much crap I never use or has no use (ornaments and such). Any other minimalists here?

I have been purging this whole last year. Been eBaying the hell outta stuff. To run my house with kids and an active lifestyle we could never do the 300 club, but DEFINITELY purging a lot.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    300 club?

Yeah, okay; I'm in.

But instead of 300, can we make it 300,000 ?
  • Timshel_
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Needed to purge....the Persians

p163191_p_v8_aa.jpg
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Isn't 300 quite a lot? Or are we including carpet threads and forks?

I live in an apartment and I'd be surprised if there was more than 50 things in there. I just try to keep it as empty looking as possible. But I don't mind if there's 10 spoons in the kitchen drawer when I only use 1 per week.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a minimalist for sure (the hubs is not), having less stuff makes me feel better. Not sure I'll go for 300 items, however I am going to pack a bag with stuff we don't use, but I dust around, and see how we do without them in a few months. I moved twice and couldn't have felt better about letting go of a ton of stuff.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about deadlifting 300 pounds. I am so close. Got 280 last week...
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get down to under 300 items...hanging in my closet.

I have so many shirts, and yet I wake up and go "I have nothing to wear." I purge my closet twice a year, and I'm still left with so much crap. Argh.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to get rid of half the crap I have and down size from our house. It's huge and really necessary.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I go through my clothes twice a year and get rid of anything out of date or that I haven't worn the past year. On the other hand, DH still has ALL of his shirts (t-shirts, button up, polo style, shiny Night at the Roxbury style) that he's owned since high school (he's 38). He refuses to allow me to purge. I try not to think about how good it would feel to get rid of the 3/4 that he's not worn (and I would not be seen in public with him if he did) since I've known him.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    I still have shoes purchased during the Bush administration.

.... the first one.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    And I'll keep my Penn State 1978 Sugar Bowl t-shirt until the day I die.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    And I'll keep my Penn State 1978 Sugar Bowl t-shirt until the day I die.

One shirt...I get. But one FULL drawer, 1/2 of the upper closet space, plus a giant packed bin that's been in the garage for 6 years that he hasn't once opened? Ooooh, but if I throw that unopened bin one day in a fit of glorious madness, I will be cursed at any point in the next 20 years when he gets an inkling of "oh, yeah, I remember I had a shirt like that? Where is it babe?"