I solved my stinky sweat problem and wanted to share.

Options
SmaugHugs
SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
About a year ago I posted here looking for advice on my sweat smelling like cat urine/vinegar after working out.Unfortunately I didn't get much advice beyond bathing more and washing my laundry(discouraging and insulting).

Well, I finally solved it! My diet was too dang acidic!

I took the at home test with the strips and my PH was completely out of whack. Since then I have started an alkaline diet and not only did my sweat stop stinking and ruining my clothes(seriously, it would not wash out after multiple cycles) but my heartburn cleared right up as well!

I wanted to share this because I received a PM asking if I still had the problem and so I decided to share with anyone else experiencing this issue. Get your PH levels checked. Save your clothes, save your esophagus and save your social life!

:smile:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, it's not fixed for those reasons. Body odor is a bacterial breakdown issue and "changing" your pH (which doesn't happen through diet) doesn't affect that. Even just a change in stress can reduce how you sweat.
    Glad it's fixed though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OMG, I totally noticed the same thing! (although I didn't have an 'odor problem. 'I thought I was the only one! I also noticed a change in the color of my sweat too. Thanks for sharing )
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    OMG, I totally noticed the same thing! (although I didn't have an 'odor problem. 'I thought I was the only one! I also noticed a change in the color of my sweat too. Thanks for sharing )

Unfortunately the information shared is incorrect. You can't change your body's pH with diet.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Uh no. The pH in your body is very stable and you can't change it with diet. If you could, it would be very very dangerous. If your pH is out of wack, you need hospital pronto.

gjtjjjb7jb1y.jpg

This bears repeating. Over, and over again.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    No. You cannot affect your body's pH with diet. I'm glad your body odor problem is resolved, though.
  • AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reposting. Respectfully, the fact that this says physiological pH for dummies makes me question the validity somewhat. Definitely glad you posted as it is good tool for discussion.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reposting. Respectfully, the fact that this says physiological pH for dummies makes me question the validity somewhat. Definitely glad you posted as it is good tool for discussion.
    https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/your-urine-is-not-a-window-to-your-body-ph-balancing-a-failed-hypothesis/

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    N
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Diet may not affect blood pH, but it can affect the pH of your excretions.
    Not really. The PH of sweat ranges from 4.5-7, and the PH of urine 5.5-7. Mildly acidic to neutral but never alkaline. All the alkaline food in the world is not going to change this, as the OP suggests as the reason for a change in body odor.

Did not mean to imply that diet would actually make your excretions alkaline. That's silly. However, those are very large ranges of pH and diet can shift it within them.

Its not uncommon for some people to have more acidic sweat than others. It comes up with musicians who play string instruments because their sweat will corrode the metals strings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    the smell OP is describing sounds like the keto/low carb "ammonia" breathe and sweat.

I imagine if they started eating more fruits and vegetables (generally touted by those people who believe that we can affect PH) they may have solved the issue that way.

This is purely speculation of course.

I was wondering about that. Also, a number of people early on in her thread suggested they'd had similar experiences with high protein, and checking the supposed "acidic" vs. "alkaline" food charts meat is "acidic" and "fruits and veg" alkaline.

Anyway, bowing out now, as I don't believe in the acidic vs. alkaline diet stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP never shared what changes she made... Was she low carb/high protein or whatever before she changed her diet?? Until we know this it's all just a guessing game. I do know many low carbers complain of off smelling sweat and staining.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    SmaugHugs wrote: »
    About a year ago I posted here looking for advice on my sweat smelling like cat urine/vinegar after working out.Unfortunately I didn't get much advice beyond bathing more and washing my laundry(discouraging and insulting).

Well, I finally solved it! My diet was too dang acidic!

I took the at home test with the strips and my PH was completely out of whack. Since then I have started an alkaline diet and not only did my sweat stop stinking and ruining my clothes(seriously, it would not wash out after multiple cycles) but my heartburn cleared right up as well!

I wanted to share this because I received a PM asking if I still had the problem and so I decided to share with anyone else experiencing this issue. Get your PH levels checked. Save your clothes, save your esophagus and save your social life!

:smile:

I'm glad you found a solution and am sorry about all the comments invalidating your experience.

My mother has silent reflux. One symptom I always noticed was her "hair balls" - she often made a noise that reminded me of a cat coughing up hair balls. She's switched to alkalized water, made some dietary changes, and I no longer hear her hairballs or her talk about her other symptoms.