Holiday Desserts: What's YOUR favorite?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My mom's peanut butter/chocolate fudge. I can (and usually do) eat myself sick on it. Good thing it's only for Christmas!

I've followed my mom's fudge recipe (the type with marshmallow fluff) and mine ends up only able to be eaten with a spoon unless it's frozen. Hers always ended up acting like proper fudge.

I finally learned the "soft ball" stage trick in the glass of cold water. Before I figured that out, it was basically ice cream topping.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My mother makes these Italian cookies with icing, and she makes her own Baklava. Those are my defaults every year.

I also keep these handy for emergencies:)

5jkxfmiqrwb1.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Peppermint brownies. Regular chocolate brownies I make all year, but during the holidays I sprinkle the top with crushed up peppermint bark. My mom used to make dozens of different holiday treats every year. My favorite was the fudge she would make without pecans just for my brother and I.

Oh, yeah. Don't ruin my fudge by putting nuts in it!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Pumpkin pie with Cool Whip.

Oh, and how could I forget rum balls?
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    snicker-doodles, good fruitcake with extra rum and soft gingerbread cookies
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Homemade chocolate covered peanut butter balls!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Peppermint brownies. Regular chocolate brownies I make all year, but during the holidays I sprinkle the top with crushed up peppermint bark. My mom used to make dozens of different holiday treats every year. My favorite was the fudge she would make without pecans just for my brother and I.

Oh, yeah. Don't ruin my fudge by putting nuts in it!

Agreed! Nuts in fudge, nuts in icecream - that is just wrong! I can deal with crunchy stuff in icecream (like honeycomb in hokey pokey) but nuts go hard when they freeze and think they are unpleasant to eat. And they ruin a lovely smooth textured fudge too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My mom's peanut butter/chocolate fudge. I can (and usually do) eat myself sick on it. Good thing it's only for Christmas!

I've followed my mom's fudge recipe (the type with marshmallow fluff) and mine ends up only able to be eaten with a spoon unless it's frozen. Hers always ended up acting like proper fudge.

I finally learned the "soft ball" stage trick in the glass of cold water. Before I figured that out, it was basically ice cream topping.

Here's the thing. This fudge with the marshmallow fluff wasn't cooked, aside from melting chocolate chips. No candy thermometer involved.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    My mother makes these Italian cookies with icing, and she makes her own Baklava. Those are my defaults every year.

5jkxfmiqrwb1.jpg

My FIL has tins of these around. They're like the Danish butter cookie tins - is it cookies or sewing supplies inside?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

5jkxfmiqrwb1.jpg

My FIL has tins of these around. They're like the Danish butter cookie tins - is it cookies or sewing supplies inside?

It had cookies inside, at the time anyway :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I'm a traditionalist and will enjoy my once-a-year treat of plum pudding with brandy butter on Christmas day. Though I think we will be having pavlova too - and it will look suspiciously like the one @machka9 posted I think. The better question might be whether there any Aussies who won't be having pavlova on 25 December?

Although yesterday I helped with a cooking frenzy that included proper old fashioned stuff like coconut ice and cheese biscuits from the Women's Weekly biscuit book (not a dessert, but a treat) and a new experiment with some seriously delicious panforte. Yum!

Unless our oven is fixed between now and Christmas, there will be no Pavlova on offer at our house. I don't normally do pav anyway, but we have a guest with a cinnamon allergy which kind of restricts anything "Christmas" flavoured.

Im saving the traditional plum pudding (with custard and Icecream) for Christmas in July, but I make a delicious Icecream Christmas pudding that is awesome in the heat
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My mom's peanut clusters. She always makes a ton and bags up some for me and my brother to take home. I've been known to go through a gallon size bag of them in less than a week.
  • zyxst
    Options
    My mom's peanut clusters. She always makes a ton and bags up some for me and my brother to take home. I've been known to go through a gallon size bag of them in less than a week.

Your mom sounds like an awesome mom.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Are you talking about the kind with the chow mien noodles? Those are my FAVORITE!

370a124g9vo1.jpg

You know, it sounded weird to me but I tried some butterscotch ones and it was pretty tasty.

In France we made them with corn flakes though. Got to make some of those.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Date & nut filled butter sugar cookies .With a tall glass of ice cold milk of course.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Are you talking about the kind with the chow mien noodles? Those are my FAVORITE!

370a124g9vo1.jpg

Hers are just peanuts and melted chocolate chips, but those look amazing!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    How about pecan pralines - yum - have not done in several years. Boiling sugar is always tricky.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How about pecan pralines - yum - have not done in several years. Boiling sugar is always tricky.

'praline' totally confuses me in the US. What is it exactly? In France it's a mix of almond and hazelnut, typically a paste. Definitely doesn't seem like the same thing..