Anybody try Muuna cottage cheese?

Just wondering if anybody has tried Muuna cottage cheese, and if they liked it?

It comes in plain and five different flavors (strawberry, blueberry, peach, mango and pineapple). I'll admit I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese to begin with, but it's high in protein and these were free after coupons so I figured I'd try them. Sooooo unbelievably gross!! Had one spoonful of the peach one, spit it out and threw the rest out. Just can't do it.

Obviously I won't buy them again (and there are plenty of protein alternatives), but I'm just curious if anybody actually LIKES these....or can even bring themselves to finish a cup? They are advertised as oh so smooth and creamy and delicious and cravable and what not. Is it just an acquired taste (which I will never acquire)?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Never heard of the brand, but I personally can't stand cottage cheese so I wouldn't buy it whether it's flavored or unflavored. What was it that you disliked about this particular brand? I hate cottage cheese because of the lumpy texture, so putting in different flavors wouldn't help at all. It's a taste that I'm not going to acquire, for sure! ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited December 2016
    I stick to the full fat Knudsen. Any flavoured or low fat CC grosses me out a lot - the texture is nasty (because they pad it with who knows what) and I got one pre-mixed with pineapple once and it tasted bitter like vomit. Gross. So yeah, regular 4% and fresh additions.
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    I stick to the full fat Knudsen. Any flavoured or low fat CC grosses me out a lot - the texture is nasty (because they pad it with who knows what) and I got one pre-mixed with pineapple once and it tasted bitter like vomit. Gross. So yeah, regular 4% and fresh additions.

Yup. That was my experience with this stuff. Looked, smelled and tasted like it had been eaten and regurgitated a few times. Bitter and sour like stomach acid. Yuck.

It probably isn't this brand in particular, but just pre-mixed fruit cottage cheese in general. I had only ever had plain cottage cheese which I'm not a huge fan of, but can tolerate. I'm surprised fruit works well in flavored Greek yogurt, but not in cottage cheese.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Tried the peach today for the first time. It was foul. I have a blueberry in the fridge (thank goodness I only bought two) and I will probably just toss it. I want to look at the expiration date first though, that's how bad the peach was. Vomit, sadly, is a good description.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,522 Member
    I eat onion and chive Bulla cottage cheese ... add a bit of salt, top with cucumber slices ... and yum! :)

I don't like the idea of sweet cottage cheese ... it's got to be well salted.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited February 2017
    It was quite gross, and I threw it out :-/. I can't recall, but I think it had added protein - may have contributed to that nasty taste?!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Local stores have chive-flavored cottage cheese, which I love to eat with crackers. They sometimes have cottage cheese with pineapple, which I also like. Looks like Muuna might be an east coast USA thing only -- I'd buy it if it were available here.

It's called different people having different tastes. I can't stand a lot of aged cheeses, but like yogurt, kefir, and cottage cheese. I've read somewhere that Chinese tend to find cheese disgusting, since it's rotten milk. Which it is.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Hmmm I thought it was just me who thought that they tasted kinda off. The expiration date was ok. They were on sale for like 3 for $5 like the store was determined to get rid of them. I think I'll stick to plain.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Aww, man. I wish I'd read this before I picked one up at Tops last night. The peach one, no less.
  • mmn126
    mmn126 Posts: 1 Member
    Was just trying to work my way through my first Muuna; wow, is this stuff terrible. I thought it was sour or curdled, but apparently it just plain stinks. Back to Breakstones doubles.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I always think of cottage cheese as more of a savory/salty item than a sweet one, so I don't think I would find those all that good either. Yogurt has to be ultra-sweet for me to like it sweet, otherwise I prefer it as a sour cream substitute.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Shows how tastes differ; I've only had the peach and loved oit.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    I'm the type that prefers my cottage cheese super sweet. I usually buy the no sodium added variety and add diced mangos, blueberries, peaches, etc. It's hard to find the no salt added ones, so sometimes I do get stuck with the regular. I can tolerate it but I definitely find it less appealing than the no salt added. My favorite way to eat cottage cheese is with fresh blueberries, cinnamon, and a touch of Walden Farms Zero Calorie Maple Syrup. Super sweet and delicious.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    I don't like flavored cottage cheese. I have tried the plain Muuna (in fact, I had some for breakfast today), and while the flavor and texture seemed a little ... bland in comparison to some other cottage cheese brands that I prefer, it wasn't unpleasant to me. To me, it's better in terms of flavor than most products with added protein I've tried (it's only 2 extra grams of protein in a half-cup, 90 kcal serving for the 2% milk fat version). When it's on sale, I buy it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Stop & Shop had a coupon for free Muuna a few months back. I got the plain and loved it. Very smooth texture. Normally I have Cabot plain.

Now I'm curious about the peach...