Raw/cooked chicken.

Options
Okay so I have 32.84 oz raw chicken. When I grill it it will be less ounces but I'm grilling for my family so I can't pre-portion them. I'm going to weigh the cooked chicken when I'm done grilling it. Then I'm going to divide the raw oz by the cooked oz. let's say I eat 5oz grilled chicken but I want to use the raw nutrition facts just to be more accurate. Would I then take the number I got when I divided the raw by the cooked and multiple it by the 5oz of grilled chicken I ate to get the amount of raw oz I ate? I dont know if that makes any sense but I saw a post about it earlier and I think that was the formula they used. Raw/cooked= # you should multiply the cooked oz to get the amount of raw oz it would have been.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You could just use the cooked entries for chicken. Unlike red meat chicken isn't that variable in how much it is cooked. I usually cook chicken on the bone so use the cooked entries.

Here's one example: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/883?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

You can use the food search to find the details on your chicken -- cooking method and part of the chicken and whether there is skin or not all matter. You don't include the weight of the bones. If I do a whole chicken and eat some from the breast, some from the leg, I weigh the two separately.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What you said in your OP is fine. The most important thing is being consistent over time. The exact dead-on accuracy of any given meal won't make or break you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's fine, but may be more complicated/more work than necessary. The cooked entries are perfectly fine to use and unlikely to make a significant difference or be less accurate given all the other variables.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ive done the whole weigh before/after and calculated the macros/calories. It turned out pretty much exactly what the cooked usda entry for chicken breast says, so just use that one, its like 150 calories per 100g if i remember correctly