FOOOD!!

Options
Is there anyway to lower the daily calories?
I should be on 1200 but it has me set to 1600 which is way too high.

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Why should you be on 1200? Why is 1600 too high?

Yeah, this
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Go to 'goals' and then 'calorie macro nutrient' (in the app) and you can customize your calories and macros.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's easy to do, but why would you want to? If mfp gave me 1600 calories to lose weight, I'd be damn well eating them!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway to lower the daily calories?
    I should be on 1200 but it has me set to 1600 which is way too high.

What is your height, age, weight? How much are you trying to lose?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I eat rich foods (like bacon, avocado, full fat cheese, macadamia nuts, etc). It fills me up and so prevents me from overeating and I don't even want to snack during the day. It's a strategy that works for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Yes you can create a custom setting but dropping 400 calories is a significant change. What is the reasoning behind this?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I eat rich foods (like bacon, avocado, full fat cheese, macadamia nuts, etc). It fills me up and so prevents me from overeating and I don't even want to snack during the day. It's a strategy that works for me.

Different foods have different satiety levels for people. Personally, things like bacon, cheese and nuts do nothing for me and I have to be careful around them, or I can overeat them pretty easily. Since they're higher calorie items they can also really mess with my calorie goals. I do much better on a higher carb diet, for better satiety/not feeling hungry. But, OP wasn't asking about food ideas/satiety issues, so kind of an odd tangent?
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Different foods have different satiety levels for people. Personally, things like bacon, cheese and nuts do nothing for me and I have to be careful around them, or I can overeat them pretty easily. Since they're higher calorie items they can also really mess with my calorie goals. I do much better on a higher carb diet, for better satiety/not feeling hungry. But, OP wasn't asking about food ideas/satiety issues, so kind of an odd tangent?

Not sure I'm following your logic. The strategy that I use is quite simple. Eat rich foods (like full fat cheese, for example). In just a few bites, I'm stuffed and can't eat anymore. On the contrary, if I would have eaten an American-style turkey sandwich on brown bread (which quite frankly tastes like a cross between cardboard and sandpaper), I would feel dissatisfied and eaten many more calories. The strategy that I use is a very well known....look at the Swiss and French. They eat rich foods and are thin as rails. Why? Food quality. And they don't fear real natural fats, and don't use fake fats like margarine. My body gets the nutrition it craves, and self regulates quantity of intake. Genius!
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Did you read the OP? This isn't even relevant.

OP, I am also wondering why the difference in what you were given versus what you have chosen for yourself.

Of course it's relevant. The strategy that I use is eat delicious rich foods, like full fat cheese. In a few bites I'm stuffed, which auto regulates my food intake. The French eat this way...they eat indulgent, rich foods and are thin. The are not afraid of natural fats, like butter, lard, full fat cheese, etc...and they don't use fake fats, like margarine or other Frankenstein monstrosities like soya or cottonseed oils. The strategy that works for me is simple...eat REAL FOOD, stay away from sugar, don't fear natural fats (in fact, indulge in eating as much as you want, because your body will self regulate the amount), and eat moderate levels of protein to maintain muscle. So simple, and I don't need to count calories...I eat to satiety. Brilliant!

• fruttibiscotti
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

OP, I am also wondering why the difference in what you were given versus what you have chosen for yourself.

Of course it's relevant. The strategy that I use is eat delicious rich foods, like full fat cheese. In a few bites I'm stuffed, which auto regulates my food intake. The French eat this way...they eat indulgent, rich foods and are thin. The are not afraid of natural fats, like butter, lard, full fat cheese, etc...and they don't use fake fats, like margarine or other Frankenstein monstrosities like soya or cottonseed oils. The strategy that works for me is simple...eat REAL FOOD, stay away from sugar, don't fear natural fats (in fact, indulge in eating as much as you want, because your body will self regulate the amount), and eat moderate levels of protein to maintain muscle. So simple, and I don't need to count calories...I eat to satiety. Brilliant!

The OP asked how to go into her profile and change her calorie goal in the system. How is your post relevant?

The post is titled "Fooood!" Then asks how to reduce target calories by 25%. So, why not instead discover how to eat in a way of reducing calories naturally, eating to satiety. I go nowhere near my target calories naturally. I undershoot by at least 40%...not because I force myself. Happens naturally. Some days I eat more, others less. Doesn't matter. I'm satiated and lose weight.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The OP asked how to go into her profile and change her calorie goal in the system. How is your post relevant?

The post is titled "Fooood!" Then asks how to reduce target calories by 25%. So, why not instead discover how to eat in a way of reducing calories naturally, eating to satiety. I go nowhere near my target calories naturally. I undershoot by at least 40%...not because I force myself. Happens naturally. Some days I eat more, others less. Doesn't matter. I'm satiated and lose weight.

No, she asked about how to change the actual target goals in the program, not how to eat in a satisfying manner within her calorie target. I'm glad you found something that you are excited about, but this is completely irrelevant for what the OP is asking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, when you said MFP has you at 1600 when it should be 1200, are you seeing the extra calories added in from exercise that you completed, or a fitness tracker that is synced, contributing to the total amount of calories MFP is suggesting you eat for the day?

How long have you been on MFP? When you set up your profile you should have put in stats (which sharing here would be helpful) including height, weight, age, activity level (excluding exercise), goal weight, and targeted rate of loss. MFP will calculate a goal for you based on those stats and goals, and then since that activity level doesn't include exercise, if you do work out, or if you sync an activity tracker like a FitBit, then those calories are added into the total you should be eating for the day so that you don't go below the amount recommended for you.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

That is in no way at all what the OP is asking. Maybe you should start a new thread with your eating method if you'd like to share. It usually goes over better than hijacking unrelated threads. :smile: Glad you found something that works for YOU.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

The title is misleading, I will agree with that, but my take is that OP is asking a systematic question about how to manually change her calorie goal in the system, OR as I pointed out above, she doesn't understand why MFP is adding calories to her daily goal when exercise is factored in.

Telling her about your preferred way of eating is definitely off topic based on the information we have.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Ah, I think you read the OP wrong-she was asking how to change her calorie settings, as in how to manually adjust them in her food tracking area. Now it makes sense why you answered the way you did-no worries :)

eta: OP-I don't go by MFP's numbers and instead use a different site to get my calorie/macros targets, and then I manually adjust them in my MFP area-to do this you go to Home, then under that select Goals and then under Daily Nutrition Goals select Edit and then you can change your calorie intake to what you're aiming for. You can also adjust your macros ratios too!