Weekend Splurging: Do it, or Don't?

Options
Every weekday I try to eat below my day's calories and hit the gym. On the weekends, however, I often become a bit more lenient: eating a bit over my calories and usually don't do intentional workouts.

I know some people do not believe in splurging so frequently. I have consumed a few hundred calories over my limit and did not exercise as I originally intended, and I feel bad about it!! I want to know what you all think about splurging! Do you do it? How often? Do we have any research or info about the effects (how much makeup exercise it'll take later on, etc)?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you are under your calories each day of the week, you can eat those back on the weekend (or special occasions) and still lose weight. So I wouldn't worry about it unless you're over your weekly calorie goal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I did not go over my calorie limit ever. Not even once. I was on a mission to lose weight.

However, weekends were indeed for splurging ... and exercising LOTS! :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I look at weekly totals and purposely eat fewer calories during the week and then roll the extra into the weekend. Works well for me :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't like to have weekend splurges on a regular basis. It takes me too long to lose the water weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 100-200 cals under goal Monday to Thursday so that I can eat more at the weekend. It's your weekly goal that matters.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Do it within reason. I'm on my feet all day for work so I tend to have a really high calorie burn, so I can be a little more lenient on weekends. I'm also fine with losing slower so it's fine for me. I know I can't deprive myself!
  • Misschuchii
    Misschuchii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to splurge on the weekends and it made Monday morning that much harder! If you know you can do it and stay at maintaince and focus on Monday then great! But for me it doesn't work
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30lbs this year and weekend splurging had no place in my routine. I think it's why you read the "I was good all week and then I destroyed my progress at the weekend" post so often on here.

For me your setting yourself up for failure, yo yo dieting, low self esteem and the list goes on and on.... Having said all that, I do know some people who swear by it and rock the weekend splurges by Monday morning.

For me its all about playing to your strengths not your weaknesses. As always do what works for you and kick on. What works for you, won't necessarily work for someone else and lets be honest no one knows your body better than you.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If your splurging keeps you in an energy balance, or a deficit, depend on your goal...why not?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I splurge with exercise on weekends...that's when I actually have time to get on my bike and ride for hours...and thus I'm deserving of beer...

Personally, I think weekends splurges are one of the reasons people around here have such a hard time...losing weight efficiently requires a fair amount of consistency...

+1

Yes ... this!

If I want to eat more on the weekend, I exercise more. Fortunately, I love being active. :)

And from my experience, one of the reasons I got to my peak weight was because I let things go on the weekends. I ate quite reasonably during the week, and would even lose a little bit of weight during the week about half the time. And then I'd go crazy on the weekends.

When I signed up here, I made a few minor modifications to my week-day diet to stay within my calorie limit, nothing major. But I had to make some significant changes to my weekend diet.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your maintenance calories are quite low, you can't "afford" to go over your calories by much or frequently. To combat this you either need to gain a massive amount of muscle (not realistic) or exercise more to "earn" those calories.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Basically... I just probably shouldn't splurge on weekends :( Ah, that'll be a hard transition.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I don't deviate from my cal limit, whether weekday or weekend.

I just treat everyday - - even holidays - - the same. If the food won't fit in my diet - - calorie-wise or nutritionally - - I just won't eat it. This doesn't mean that I won't try to "fit" something that I want to eat into my diet.

I will and do fiddle w/things to do that but it's usually a trafe off that requires something else to go or to be reduced so that I can stay w/in my limits to maintain my weight.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy 6 days a week and allow one "free" day where I don't low carb count or calorie count and still managed to lose 45 pounds since January. I might have lost more if I was super strict with the count but I have no desire to feel deprived and miserable; some days I just want a big ole bowl of buttered noodles and a donut so I slot it for the free day and enjoy it. I do however make sure to exercise 4-5 times a week; strength and cardio.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Look at your weekly calories. Things may even out if you eat below your goal some days and over a few and you will still have a deficit for the week.
    If you don't want to go over then plan your weekend eating more.

I try to stick to my goal on weekends usually. My weekend routine is not that different from the rest of the week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    swagoner94 wrote: »
    Basically... I just probably shouldn't splurge on weekends :( Ah, that'll be a hard transition.

Curious why that's the conclusion you came to from the various responses? It's definitely an individual preference, but as others have pointed out, it's the sustained deficit over time that results in weight loss. If you indulge on the weekend within reason and still end up at or under your weekly calorie target, you will still lose weight.

For what it's worth, I, like others have mentioned, bank 100-200 cals during the week, in order to have 500-1000 cals extra to indulge with on the weekend. I did this while losing and am still doing it while maintaining. I am generally busier on the weekends too with errands and kid activities but I try to get in exercise as well. I logged the indulgences just like I would log anything else and aside from the occasional temporary spike in water weight on the scale Monday morning, I never saw any slow down in my overall weight loss.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If I just didn't track or try to be intuitive I could blow through any weekly available calories on one weekend day. It's not worth it. One or two "treats" isn't a good deal for me for being diligent for 5-6 entire days.

Interestingly I've actually found the last month that when I do go "*kitten* it!" and have a steak and fries or something fried, or the other day at my friend's house I allowed myself to graze on some crackers and dip all afternoon, I just don't feel that good on it. My stomach gets tight and crabby and I got a bit of a headache and tired. Makes it easier to decide whether to let go now.