Different days, different calorie allowances

Options
jamcdonel
jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Some days MFP gives me 2500 kCal :) , and some days it is 2120 :( . I can make 2500 work pretty well, but 2120 is a challenge.

I get the whole weekly averaging thing, but why not just make it 2300 per day and call it done. Is there some sort of algorithm? Is it random? Is it every other day ( honestly, I haven't paid that much attention)? Am I just being too curious for my own good?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you have an exercise app synced with MFP? It will adjust your calories based on updates from the apps you have synced. Otherwise, you should have the same goal every day.
  • jamcdonel
    Options
    Hmm...didn't think about that. I don't think so.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're aware that MFP adds in your exercise calories?
  • SamMarriottPT
    SamMarriottPT Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You'll find this is happening because you're either A) adding in the exercise you do every day or B) You've left the steps tracker on. Both options will add extra calories to your daily allowance because it believes you need to 'eat them back'.

My advice is that you calculate your macros again to make sure it accounts for the amount of exercise you do in a week, and use that figure as your target calorie intake! Then I would also not track your exercise in your diary, and also turn steps off so it stops telling you to eat different calorie intakes.

Feel free to message me if you need any more help!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Technically, using your MFP calorie goal and logging your exercise (or allowing a fitness app to sync with MFP) should give you the same amount of calories as figuring your TDEE. It's just two different ways to get to the same number. And if your exercise schedule isn't consistent, (some weeks you kill it, other weeks you sit on the couch) TDEE can be problematic.
  • jamcdonel
    Options
    Nope. This is before I put my exercise in for the day. I don't have a fitness tracker (if Santa is reading this, I've been a good boy and I would REALLY like a Fitbit Blaze) or use any fitness apps. I just log in every morning after my walk (35-37 min @ 4 mph with doggo) while breakfast is cooking and log in the walk and the food. So my raw number for the day is 2500 on some days, and 2120 on some days.

Just wondered why.