Progressive overload

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
This is a stupid question, and I already know the answer but I'm asking anyway. I started the lifting program "A workout routine...muscle building routine" and really like it a lot.

The way it's designed is to use the same weight for all sets, with an increase once you can complete them all. Today I had to bump some weight up, so my workout went from looking like 3 sets of 12/10/8 reps to 3 sets of 5/4/3 reps.

I get the this is the progressive overload part and I just keep at it until I can hit the max reps, but....although the added weight made me work a lot harder, I feel like I didn't do very much volume-wise. That in turn makes me feel like I didn't do enough.

I do need to work on strength but I'm looking for hypertrophy too. I am doing enough with this program though, right? I need to get out of my head that I have to do endless reps to progress?

Replies

• newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Its rep scheme is supposed to be 6-8 for compound movements (bench, row), 8-10 for lat pulldown etc. and 10-12 for exercises like tricep push down, curls...

Keep the reps within that rep range and increase the weight. So next time, try to hit whatever the weight you increased to within the prescribed rep range (previously 5/4/3)

I personally do not believe in low rep= 10 strength, 5 hypertrophy/ high rep =10 hypertrophy, 5 strength myth. As long as one's lifts go up, that's progress.

Yes, I feel that you are doing enough. Just be consistent with the program and progressively overload.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    This is a stupid question, and I already know the answer but I'm asking anyway. I started the lifting program "A workout routine...muscle building routine" and really like it a lot.

The way it's designed is to use the same weight for all sets, with an increase once you can complete them all. Today I had to bump some weight up, so my workout went from looking like 3 sets of 12/10/8 reps to 3 sets of 5/4/3 reps.

I get the this is the progressive overload part and I just keep at it until I can hit the max reps, but....although the added weight made me work a lot harder, I feel like I didn't do very much volume-wise. That in turn makes me feel like I didn't do enough.

I do need to work on strength but I'm looking for hypertrophy too. I am doing enough with this program though, right? I need to get out of my head that I have to do endless reps to progress?

If you are a beginner lifter, I'd suggest using his beginner routine. Other than that, follow the instructions as written. To me, the fact that you think you need endless reps to advance says you don't have enough experience to go off script.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Not new. Didn't say I was intending to go off script. "Endless reps" wasn't meant literally.

But it's true that lower rep range goes along with the compounds, so I guess didn't do as poorly as I thought I did.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do All Pro which is a rep increase (8-12) before weight increase programme that leans toward hypertrophy, with a heavy, medium, and light day each week. So I think it has similarities to the programme you are following.

When I start each new cycle and go up in weight but drop down in reps it is a built in deload week so is supposed to feel easy. You often need the deload just to give yourself a bit of a break. Most programmes have them built in where you drop the weight, with yours you up the weight, drop the reps.

Maybe going back and rereading the science behind the programmes structure will reassure you.

Follow as written and trust the methodology.

Cheers, h.

Sorry, just found the programme you are following and it is not as similar in its progression as the one I use as I thought. Disregard what I said about the built in deload when you progress in weight.
    Follow as written. Sounds good. h
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

If you compare it to PHUL, every day is almost exactly like a "power day" in PHUL. It doesn't have a "hypertrophy day" of increased volume like PHUL does. So if you are coming from a program like PHUL, this would absolutely be a drop in volume for you.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    richln wrote: »

If you compare it to PHUL, every day is almost exactly like a "power day" in PHUL. It doesn't have a "hypertrophy day" of increased volume like PHUL does. So if you are coming from a program like PHUL, this would absolutely be a drop in volume for you.

That's exactly what I mean, yeah. It feels like such a turn around from what I'm accustomed to a program looking like. Thanks.