Do you think weight, debt and clutter may somehow be connected?

Options
lessismoreohio
lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
Do you think a person's weight, debt and clutter may somehow be connected? I've sometimes wondered about this. There are some older studies out there that claim the three may be linked through stress, self control or some other link.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• donnamoore58
    donnamoore58 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know about stats but I do know when my house is organized and clean, I feel more motivated to lose weight. When I clean the CRAP out of my fridge, then go to the store, it's easier to buy healthier food. There's just something about being organized that makes me feel good.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    great question; thanks for posting.

without anything to back up my thoughts (what's new?) , I think: Yes.

Travel Light, Live Light; Be Light
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For me no. I am a cluttery person living in poverty with debt and am BMI 20.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I hate clutter, have no debt, and am morbidly obese. I don't see a connection in my life. If anything having the dishes clean and put away and plenty of open counter space just encourages me to cook and bake. I did hear about a study where people ate more in a cluttered kitchen than a clean kitchen.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    My house is terribly cluttered and I'm not overweight.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I think you might be hinting at overall laziness of mind and body... I guess?

But there's a ton of variables that I suspect would dictate otherwise
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    They don't have to go together.
    At my highest weight I hurt a lot. I had less energy. My house was messier...fewer projects around the house were completed. It did not impact my finances though.
    Someone can have weight, clutter or financial problems related to drepression, stress or other health problems. Weight doesn't create those issues but can be in the mix.
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    great question; thanks for posting.

without anything to back up my thoughts (what's new?) , I think: Yes.

Travel Light, Live Light; Be Light

I like this.

I just went through a rough patch and can say when I'm very depressed I spend more money, don't care about the house as much, and eat like crap. When I take care of myself, then I stop the retail therapy, I take pride in a tidier house and I eat much better and work out much longer. For me it's all connected.

(Eta: That said, even when I was depressed the clutter/debt/weight wasn't terrible, it was just not normal for me. I'm Type A and like a tidy home, my finances in order, and I don't let myself go too far off the wagon. It wasn't a huge downward spiral, just a break from the norm. Still all very connected though, and interesting to think about!)
  • Tanafee
    Tanafee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me i do see a connection. For me my cluttered room represents lack of self control and makes me depressed and anxious which makes me eat more! An aha moment!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I eat more when I'm depressed and bored
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I restrict when depressed
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    I eat more when I'm depressed and bored

This is me as well.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes.... although some times ones debt is not something you can control, if you have an ex wife or two.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but there are exceptions
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, messy unmotivated and no self respect======obesity.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes

My mom used to say some quote about "clean house, clean body, clean mind"

• Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    Yes, this is my experience also. Even at work, when my office is a mess, I feel defeated somehow. It is a strange correlation but I feel that way.
  • ParadiseLost91
    ParadiseLost91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe this to be true.

I was a healthy weight, until my depression. It started creeping on without me noticing. I was still managing my studies, but my apartment got messier, I gained weight, I spent more money on crap to make myself happy...

I didn't realise it was depression/ compassion fatigue (I'm a vet student), so I just kept going.
    And the messier and more horrible my home became, the more bad I felt and the more crap food I would eat.

It wasn't until my friend visited me unexpected and commented the mountain of dirty dishes, and dirt (I'm so ashamed writing this).
    That was a breaking point. I went to the doctor, got refered to a psychiatrist (thank God we have free healthcare), and took time off from my studies.

I'm on MFP to lose the depression-weight. Bloody hard work. Turns out I'm an emotional eater, and overeat when stressed and sad.
    I haven't exactly chosen a good field to work in based on this, haha.. :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Just because I am fat and poor doesn't mean I don't pick up after myself.