Rowing for strength training?

Options
zeldon919
zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Can the rowing machine (eventually at high resistance) be the strength component of my workout?

I'm just starting to work out, so the goals are habit (3x week) and cardio endurance right now. My workout is mostly cardio, with some strength at the end to maintain muscle.

I know it's a full body workout that engages many muscle groups, but I'm not sure if that qualifies it as strength training.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's cardio.
    Yes it has a strength element but it's cardio (aerobic).

It's also not quite full body, you aren't using your chest for a start (unless you are sitting the wrong way round!).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Rowing has a strength component to it and while it's true that it engages 85% of your muscles, it's not considered strength training. It's cardio.

I row 5-6 days/week and supplement with strength training.

• zeldon919
    Options
    Darn. I knew it was wishful thinking. Thanks for the comments!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »

You should still row, though! ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »

It's still a great exercise though - I recommend having a browse through the Concept2 web site, especially the technique tutorial. People frequently row really badly, including setting the resistance too high by the way. :)
    The VO2 max test is an interesting challenge and a different way to track fitness progress.
  • zeldon919
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh, I intend to keep rowing. I like it.

And I rode crew for a minute in high school, so my form and technique are decent.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The 1-10 on a Concept isn't about resistance as you might normally think of it, where a higher number is better. Your comment "eventually at high resistance" speaks to this.

The damper sets the drag factor, which being higher or lower is a matter of what kind of rowing you are trying to do.

Some reading:
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5310
    http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12829
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Rowing is awesome, but remember that it's 85% lower body, 15% upper body. That and it isn't a progressive resistance program. But keep rowing!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    The 1-10 on a Concept isn't about resistance as you might normally think of it, where a higher number is better. Your comment "eventually at high resistance" speaks to this.

The damper sets the drag factor, which being higher or lower is a matter of what kind of rowing you are trying to do.

Some reading:
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5310
    http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12829
    kirkor wrote: »

^This is correct.

The drag factor is NOT intended as a resistance adjustment. It's intended to simulate the type of boat that you'd be rowing in the water. The recommended setting is typically 5-6, where your "normal" stroke rate is between 24-26 spm, which should most closely simulate the drag of a single scull in the water.

The increased effort and speed should come from pulling harder on the handles which meets increased resistance from the flywheel, which will be indicated by increased watts/cals burned and increased speed on the performance monitor with a stroke rate that should not exceed 30-32 spm at max effort.

A higher stroke rate than this would indicate an incomplete stoke and inefficient form translating into less power per stroke.