How realistic is my Fitbit/MFP calorie burn today?

Options
I just want to make sure I'm not one of those people that gains weight due to overestimation of calorie burn.

I'm 50, female, 5'5" and 165.8 was my last lowest weight a couple of days ago. MFP is set to sedentary.

I've started cycling again. Today I did 8.93 miles, avg speed 9.32mph for 57.21 minutes (one speed bike, half of the time against the breeze, avg heart rate 165). I use endomondo to track the ride. Endo gives me 544 calories burnt for the ride without knowing my heart rate. I hit the workout mode on my fitbit at the same time I started and stopped and fitbit gave me 538 calories. It also translated that apparently to something like 5000-6000 steps.

I did a decent amount of walking today, right now, including the above steps I'm at 10916 steps. I've preprogrammed dinner but not eaten yet for a total of 1426 calories (901 remaining), fitbit tells me I still have 485 calories to eat (I have them both at a 2lb loss but MFP sets me at the minimum 1200) .

Synced to MFP it tells me I burned 1097 calories in exercise today. Does that sound right for my stats? 538 for the cycling and another 559 for walking (at a decent pace) around an event? I feel like I'm overeating at 1426! But should I eat a bit more based on the workout/walking?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Nobody has a "no way that's too many calories for what you did" for me?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Typically on a day with 10k steps and a decent workout, I'm in the 2000-2200 calorie burn range for the day. Also 5'5", 41 and 136lbs.

So, yeah, seems legit to me. Remember, fitbit is sending over your entire calorie burn, not exercise. MFP estimates your total burn and subtracts what it thinks your maintenance calories is based on your profile info. The adjustment is the difference. Since you've set it for sedentary you will see large adjustments like this when you've had days like this.
  • banpluak
    banpluak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just found this. Can't give a definitive answer but will say this much

Ride a bike as my main exercise all the time (Between 300 - 400Km a week). I use a Garmin cycling computer to log this with heart rate, age, weight etc. I have also compared the calories burned to other cycling based calorie burn calculators.

MFP gives me a higher figure than ALL other calculators, with out heart rate by about 35%. My Garmin, with heartrate, by 40%.

Check out other calculators online and see what numbers you are getting from there and come to a compromise with yourself on calorie burn.

NONE of the burn calculators are going to be correct for you as they are all based on basic calculations and a set algorithm. the best thing you can do is to look at the RESULTS you are getting in your weight loss and adjust calorie intake, or exercise, accordingly.
  • successgal1
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Typically on a day with 10k steps and a decent workout, I'm in the 2000-2200 calorie burn range for the day. Also 5'5", 41 and 136lbs.

So, yeah, seems legit to me. Remember, fitbit is sending over your entire calorie burn, not exercise. MFP estimates your total burn and subtracts what it thinks your maintenance calories is based on your profile info. The adjustment is the difference. Since you've set it for sedentary you will see large adjustments like this when you've had days like this.

Thanks. Yeah I'm usually at a desk, but started exercise again so I think keeping things at sedentary keeps me honest about activity. This is the first time I've worn the fitbit day in and out. Previously I just put it on for cycling so I don't push my heart too hard. Before I fell off the wagon I was able to do 12 miles in an hour, and fitbit gave me less calories burnt for the workout, maybe in the high 300's to mid 400's. Obviously my fitness level is not there right now!

I've gotten discouraged before with tiredness and not seeing results on the scale. I want to eat enough for recovery but still lose fat.

I used to just log workouts manually on mfp, and ate back half the workout calories. Now I'm wondering if I was underestimating my daily activity before and maybe that's why I never felt recovered from workouts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I did almost exactly the same thing yesterday morning but a stationary bike, a little faster average speed. I'm 5'5" and 155ish and my Apple Watch (with HRM) gave me 350, purely based on heart rate and duration because it can't measure much else in this case.
  • successgal1
    Options
    I did almost exactly the same thing yesterday morning but a stationary bike, a little faster average speed. I'm 5'5" and 155ish and my Apple Watch (with HRM) gave me 350, purely based on heart rate and duration because it can't measure much else in this case.

That's more like what I used to get. I'm wondering, is fitbit adding my "calories needed to survive" to the workout? Even when I set it to workout mode only? That would explain the higher burn, but doesn't explain endomondo agreeing with it. Hmmm

I'm generally ignoring the MFP calculation from what fitbit says. I'm trying to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week, eating roughly 1100 calories a day at sedentary. So fitbit will let me go that low, mfp gets mad lol. Kinda stalled this week (yeah yeah ups and downs) just trying to be efficient and get in the best shape I can before vacation. 11 weeks to go!
  • successgal1
    Options
    Oh, mfp says I still have over 800 calories I can eat, fitbit around 380, I think I'm better off following fitbit for that reason. As it is, when I get hungry at about 10 pm tonight I have a 100 calorie pumpkin custard waiting. (Homemade). That ought to do it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I think the bike burn may be high. I just have a stationary bike and it gives me 100 calories for 7 miles with a pace in the low 20s. I had always heard that the ratio of bike:walking is about 5 miles to 1 mile, so perhaps 150 calories for a regular bike ride.

The 11,000 steps translates to about 5.5 miles, so about 500 calories, although if 5000 of that is already counted in the bike ride, then about 3 miles of walking, so 250 or so. I would figure 1600 total allowed for the day, if your base is 1200.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    When I cycle, I use the calculation: 100 calories for every 5 km.

8.93 miles = 14.4 km, or about 285 cal.

When I walk, I use the calculation: 200 cal/hour and since I walk 5 km/h, that's 200 cal for every 5 km.

10,000 steps is 8 km = about 320 cal.

Add the two together and that's 605 cal.

And if I'm trying to lose weight, I might eat 75% of that ... or about 450 cal. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You're eating only 1100 per day and exercising in addition? No wonder mfp "gets mad". Surely you know that's not enough?
  • successgal1
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You're eating only 1100 per day and exercising in addition? No wonder mfp "gets mad". Surely you know that's not enough?

No i dont think that's what i said.
  • successgal1
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    When I cycle, I use the calculation: 100 calories for every 5 km.

8.93 miles = 14.4 km, or about 285 cal.

When I walk, I use the calculation: 200 cal/hour and since I walk 5 km/h, that's 200 cal for every 5 km.

10,000 steps is 8 km = about 320 cal.

Add the two together and that's 605 cal.

And if I'm trying to lose weight, I might eat 75% of that ... or about 450 cal. :)

So that calculation works for me! I'm at 1200 sedentary for 1.5 lb loss, or fitbit 1100 for 1.8 loss. Yesterday between the walking and bike i ate just over 1500 calories. 400 more for fitbit and 300 if going by mfp. That feels sufficient after 7 hours sleep and I'm not famished this morning (indicating under eating the day before). And it appears I could add another 100 Cal or so in, if needed. I want to eat enough to recover but still lose.

Back to a sedentary day today. Desk, computer and phones.