Getting it right this time. (100+ to lose)

Options
FeraFilia
FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
I'm down 44 pounds from my highest weight, and have 117 to go.

I have been down this road several times, always giving up after a few months, because I've always - in some part of my brain - felt like trying to lose weight should be like a punishment for allowing myself to get so heavy in the first place. Like I have to almost starve myself and only eat bland, boring foods. Like I have to do insane exercise that I'm not actually up to doing at this point. Losing 40 to 50 pounds was great. Giving up and gaining it back because I couldn't stand my new normal anymore was bad. (Repeat x3)

This time, I'm doing it differently. I have found a method that works without driving me crazy. I don't feel bored with my food choices, nor do I feel overly restricted. I don't feel like I've overdone it every single time I exercise, either. Okay, so it's only been 2 weeks, but I'm not dreading the next few days until I can have *real* food for Christmas. And I don't feel the need to procrastinate and wait for a "New Year's Resolution."

They say when you have your "why" you will be able to keep going. Well, my "why" was born last October, and he's a 14 month old ball of energy that I'd like to be able to keep up with. I don't want to be the fat mom that his friends make fun of. I don't want to be the mom huffing and puffing and unable to keep up when he wants to play outside. I want to live long enough to see the man he's going to become. And I don't want him to be an only child.

I've been tracking my food religiously (with a food scale!). I've been drinking more water and less empty calories. I've been using my Fitbit to make sure I have at least 30, and aim for 60, minutes of activity every day. It was tough at first, but now I can do a full hour at a time. Things are improving. Slowly, but they are improving.

I was over 300 pounds. Never again. This time, I'm getting it right.

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I lost a lot of weight and was in great shape. I kept it off for years but eventually my situation and responsibilities changed and I let the weight slowly creep back until I was 328 pounds. I am now 219 and dropping. I feel great. I don't starve myself. I only wish I had taken responsibility for my weight sooner. You can absolutely do this. Just make responsible choices 1 day at a time and before you know it, you will look back and be amazed at how much you have lost.
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You sound like a lady on a mission!! Add me if you like.
  • Staavi_
    Staavi_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started my own journey to lose over 200 pounds! Would be awesome to have some people with similar goals on my news feed!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You can def do it as long as you have a solid plan and don't think of it as a diet, but as a your new way of living. That is what works for me.
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Thanks y'all. :)

I figured I'd know I'd found what works for me when I didn't feel the need for a "cheat" day. Which, after a while, became 2 days, then a week, then a month, until I regained all of my lost weight. No cheat days this time, just working a treat or two into my regular day so I don't feel like I've put foods on some kind of 'forbidden' list, because that would make me crave them. Cheat days might work for some, but they just don't work for me.

I already feel so much better. I have more energy and I am not fighting with myself trying to get up after I've been down on the floor playing with my kid. I have even managed to cut caffeine! I love coffee, but I love it sweet with cream... And I didn't realize how many calories I was drinking with my coffee until I measured it. 70 cals per cup, 3 or 4 cups a day... I switched my sweet coffee for overnight oats that are the same number of calories and a LOT more filling. :)
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Bumping this because I would love more active friends that are dedicated to staying active (both physically and on MFP) through the new year! I would be sad if I logged on in March and more than half of my friends were inactive.
  • krystenmcox33
    krystenmcox33 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also starting again after gaining 60 lbs in the last two years. My goal is to lose around 85 lbs in the next 13 months so I am planning on taking this one day at a time =) Feel free to add me, I am always looking for supportive friends that I can also encourage in this journey.
  • fitchick37
    fitchick37 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've just joined and about to send you a friend request. I'm 237, a couple of health complications but no reason why I shouldn't be winning at this. Having a bit of a slow start while I shake off a chest infection and then I'm on it with you! Michelle
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    Bumping this to see if any of the new year's crowd can relate. :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can add me.

My weight has been up and down all my life. I'm a former yo-yo dieter. Hoping to make this a permanent lifestyle change.

Reached my highest (recorded) adult weight of 214 this year, which put me into class II obesity at only 5'5. I'm down to 195 and have about 45 lbs to go until I hit the top of the healthy BMI range.

After that, we'll see where things go, but I plan to be around long term!
  • Beeky_85
    Beeky_85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey, i've done this is a few times too and know it can work - just need to get back on and make it work once more. I wish you luck on this journey, you can do it, and I can too. :) Feel free to add for support.
  • faeries_7
    faeries_7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started working out in June and managed to lose 40 lbs. I started a new job mid-September and quit working out because of the increased hours and crazy shifts. I've gained back 7 lbs. Not a huge amount but enough to get me back on track. Please feel free to add me. I don't have a specific weightloss goal number. I think I'll know it when I feel it.
  • BlondeButtercup127
    BlondeButtercup127 Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So inspiring! Feel free to add me, I also have just over 100 to lose. Best of luck on your journey!
  • jcelias
    jcelias Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi FeraFilia! (Hi Everyone!).... i am in a very similar situation. I went through a separation/divorce, I had to go to court just to be able to see my kids...and it has been a gruesome last 2 years. I ended up gaining 100lbs and my health has deteriorated. I need to lose the weight and get healthy again. Feel free to add me. I could use the support and would love the opportunity to help you on your journey as well.
    God Bless, JC
  • FeraFilia
    Options
    I've added all of you (who didn't add me first!)

It really does help to have support from people who are on the same (very long) road.
  • breezybeem
    breezybeem Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in the same boat - feel free to add me
  • iServant
    iServant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it! I lost 55lbs in 2016, if I can do it anyone can trust me =)
  • renegadeohio
    renegadeohio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm here to loose 100 lbs in a year. For now I'm trying to get the eating right down.
  • karafindsfit35
    karafindsfit35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ to lose, too. Feel free to add me :)