Meal Prep - with No Cookware, Oven or Appliances

Options
Okay, so long story short my entire downstairs living space is under construction leaving us with no cabinets, counter space, oven, microwave, etc. We have a refridgerator, but that is all that is functioning at the moment. Also, due to black mold, the majority of our cookware had to be pitched. I am one to NEVER eat out. I always pack lunch and make dinner, but now I'm in a situation where I don't have that option. Any ideas for easy, no-prep-needed foods that we can take for lunch or eat for dinner? I've been eating a lot of Greek yogurt, protein bars and protein shakes and the guys have been eating a lot of sandwiches, but other than that I'm stuck on what I can make. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Pre-cooked meats and salads?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Oh, didn't think about salads! Good call!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You can actually find hard boiled eggs in some stores now. Tuna pouches come in lots of flavors; make a wrap or serve with crackers.

But - yeah - there's so much you can do with a salad.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken from Costco or the grocery store are good. You can pick up a bagged salad mix or deli sides to go with.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Pick up rotisserie chicken at the store--you can do a lot with that; you didn't cook it with your own bare hands, but at least it is hot. Just make sure that you eat the skin part that day--it's not the same after it's been in the fridge. I love it on sandwiches and sliced onto salads with a really good balsamic vinaigrette and some sliced fruit and crumbled goat cheese. You can also do a salad nicoise for a hearty dinner with tuna, eggs (if you can manage a way to boil them or buy them hard cooked), assorted veg, etc. Out of curiosity, even the metal and glass cookware had to be pitched? Or just the plastics? Sounds like a horrible situation--hope you get through it quickly.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    100% WW Bread, Whole Grain Wraps, 100 calorie Sandwich Thins, Pita Bread
    Natural Peanut Butter, Almond Butter $$, Casher Butter $$
    Tuna
    Add nuts & raisins to salad
    Grapes and berries are easy to deal with only washing no peeling.
    Dollar General has chicken & tuna salad cans. If you ever have access to a microwave they have a nice assortment of canned meet like bbq chicken, pulled pork, roast beef, and ground beef.

Any chance you can hit the thrift store to pick up some kitchen electrics? Walmart has a small $20 toaster oven.. Or a cheap crockpot?