Does Alli work for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    In for the stories of everyone sh*tting their pants. I'd recommend a good supply of depends to go with them.

This.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Shajaira27 wrote: »
    I have to admit that we're lucky that it hasn't impacted our BM like that. Perhaps taking caution in not eating high fat foods is helping.

@RAinWA thanks for sharing the link. I didn't encounter any positive stories. I wonder if it's because people's side effects were so gruesome that they gave up early? But I appreciated the comment of the calculations of precentage of fat and it's calorie equivalence. It's not a significant amount to impact weight loss.

I took xenical for a bit, (stronger prescription dose) for a few months, I didn't, fortunately, have any accidents but it did require:

t04qvwx6c2jd.jpg

Also, most importantly. I didn’t lose any weight, you can still eat high cal without too much fat.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ceeceeann wrote: »
    Six years ago I lost 80 pounds. Then I tried it again the formula changed and it was like taking nothing.

Are you successfully maintaining the 80lbs loss? Why did you need to try it again?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Read the data - in terms of what it 'promises'. I am going from memory but I believe Alli requires you to limit fat to 15g per meal and 15g for snacks in a day, so about 60g total. And it blocks 25% of the fat calories so you don't absorb them.

At 9 calories per gram, this means you 'shave' 60 (total fat grams) x .25 (blocked) x 9 = 135 calories per day that Alli blocks. That equates to a little more than 1 pound per month. And the side effects can be BAD if you overeat on fat.
    I did a lot of internet reading of medical/health websites and learned that out of all of the over the counter weight loss pills, Alli is the most effective.

I bought a bottle to share with my husband, it was $60 at Walmart (a bit pricey), and before I continue on this expensive trial, I would love to know how it's working out for others.

I do understand that it's not a fat burner, metabolism booster, or hunger suppressant. I know how it works, but want to hear how it's going for others aside from the clinical studies.

• NS2017
    NS2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It works for me, I lose about a pound a day, if you up the dose to 2 per meal instead of 1 it's the same as taking xenical (the prescription form of alli) the biggest issue is the "discharge" which makes you want to stick close to home... BUT keep your fat intake well below the recommended amount and it's less of an issue.

It does not distinguish between "good" and "bad" fat so avocados and nuts give you the same effects as pizza and french fries so make sure you count that too!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

Thanks, you beat me to it. My favorite horror story:
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I've never taken Alli, BUT, I do have a real world story to share.

I used to work at a furniture store... about 3 years ago. We once had a a female customer come into the store. Well, she had to make a break for the bathroom quite suddenly. After some time the salesperson who had been working with her complained (I was in customer service) that the lady never came back and that he'd wasted time with her. A handful of minutes passed and I went to the bathroom. What I saw I can never ever unsee.

Without going into too much gruesome detail, there was orange poo everywhere. The lady's clothes were in the trash, soiled. The lady was in one of the stalls hysterically crying. I left and told the manager about it. She went to help out the lady and basically gave her a sheet from one of the floor model beds to cover herself so she could leave the bathroom. The manager later told us the lady said she was taking Alli and she'd basically exploded everywhere. She apologized over and over. I felt bad for the lady. How embarassing and humiliating for her that must have been. Then the other customer service girl I worked with volunteered to clean the bathroom (we didn't have a cleaning service at the time, it was a brand new store). I didn't envy her position. It was the single most grossest thing I've ever seen (and I have 2 kids...so...).

So yeah... word of caution there....

Yeah, I made that post over a year ago... still can't unsee it. It's still traumitizing.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    NS2017 wrote: »
    It works for me, I lose about a pound a day, if you up the dose to 2 per meal instead of 1 it's the same as taking xenical (the prescription form of alli) the biggest issue is the "discharge" which makes you want to stick close to home... BUT keep your fat intake well below the recommended amount and it's less of an issue.

It does not distinguish between "good" and "bad" fat so avocados and nuts give you the same effects as pizza and french fries so make sure you count that too!

Please don't "up" anything. Also please note that this poster stated that one has to keep their fats WELL BELOW the already low recommended amount. Red flags everywhere. Losing one pound per day is NOT healthy.
    ETA: If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
    Try sticking to a calorie goal instead and keep it off long term.
    Eat less, move more.

Good luck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of internet reading of medical/health websites and learned that out of all of the over the counter weight loss pills, Alli is the most effective.

I bought a bottle to share with my husband, it was $60 at Walmart (a bit pricey), and before I continue on this expensive trial, I would love to know how it's working out for others.

I do understand that it's not a fat burner, metabolism booster, or hunger suppressant. I know how it works, but want to hear how it's going for others aside from the clinical studies.

Just as a warning, that "most effective" finding?

The manufacturer's own studies found that in clinical trials, people taking Alli lost only 2-3 kilograms (on average) more than people who did not take Alli.

That's 4-6 pounds.

So you have to wear brown pants and rush to the bathroom every time you feel a fart coming on, and risk soiling yourself in public -- and PAY $60 a bottle!! -- in order to lose an extra FIVE POUNDS?

There are better ways to lose five pounds, and better things to spend money on. IMO.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    This thread is such a classic! I haven't tried Alli and feel no desire to do so.