strength training woes

Options
I get ADD when it comes to strength training and am all over the place and end up usually giving up and doing cardio because I don't know what to do. Anyone follow a program?

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I get ADD when it comes to strength training and am all over the place and end up usually giving up and doing cardio because I don't know what to do. Anyone follow a program?

It's best to follow a program, or have a trainer design one for you. Helps you get into a routine and target the same muscles which equals growth!
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use fitnessblender.com programs. I'm currently doing their fb fit round 2 program. I did round one already and the changes from June to now are insane. Highly recommend
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have been following Strong Lifts 5x5 since March 2016. I like the structure and ease of the program.

Things I like:
    -very simple - no complicated intervals or lifting changeups. On any given workout day I only do 3 compound lifts. 5 sets of 5 reps
    -app is on my phone (free btw)- tells me when to increase/deload, how many sets & how much time to rest, form video links, etc. Everything I needed to get me started and settled into a routine was at my fingertips

It took most of the guess work out of what I needed to do in order to meet my goals. Love the results I've gotten and don't plan to stop anytime soon. I have begun implementing a few other things on my non SL days but not consistently yet.
  • Tattooedmom44
    Tattooedmom44 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer develop a four day schedule for me. Each day targets certain muscles. I just keep following this schedule, and slowly increase the amount I lift for each exercise as I get stronger. Keeps me focused and I know that I'm working all of my muscles. Getting great results.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Find a program. Follow the program. Enjoy the rewards.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i did stronglifts 5x5 while reading starting strength cover to cover a couple of times. then i did 3x5 for a while when i first started to work with my trainer. now i'm doing wendler 5/3/1.

it is much easier when you have a programme. self-guided lifting was pretty half-assed lifting, for me.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like Rachel Cosgroves programs-- Female Body Breakthrough and Drop 2 Sizes.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    +1 on Stronglifts 5x5. I recognized the app on several smartphones at the gym too. Very specific plan and the website is fabulous as far as details on what proper form is supposed to be for each.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've done SL 5X5 and am now doing 5/3/1. If I didn't have the phone app I'd wander around aimlessly.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I am the SAME way. I need to know exactly what to do, what weight to lift, and I need to know WHY I'm doing that exercise. I've done written programs that are easily accessible, and now I have a coach. Programming stresses me out so much that I literally will pay to have it put in someone elses hands.

Before I went the coach route though I did 5/3/1 and SL 5x5. I'd suggest SL 5x5 or Strong Curves for a beginner.