rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    How long did it take you to gain it?

Oh god many years
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How much did you think you could/should lose in a month? I would kill to lose almost 10 lbs in a month.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    How much did you think you could/should lose in a month? I would kill to lose almost 10 lbs in a month.

I hear others say 15 pounds.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Unless they are around 300+ lbs, I'm pretty sure that 15 lbs in a month is not going to be mostly fat.

For most to lose that amount in a month would mean not eating enough to meet minimum nutrition needs. It's a 3.4 lb per week loss. That's a 12,124 calorie deficit a week. 1732 calories under maintenance a day.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    I guess my hopes were high because i kicked off with a 30 day work out challenge where I have to workout everyday for an hour for 30 days. I did not work out at all and I drink soda and ate fast food every single ate before this so I thought the major change would be a shock to my system and make me lose tons of weight.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Unless they are around 300+ lbs, I'm pretty sure that 15 lbs in a month is not going to be mostly fat.

Great point. This is something that often gets overlooked. Can you lose 15lbs in a month? Sure. Should you? Not without risk to health, and at the cost of muscle mass and risking nutritional deficiencies. Unless you are significantly overweight, which is not the case here.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Well im excited to meet my goal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I guess my hopes were high because i kicked off with a 30 day work out challenge where I have to workout everyday for an hour for 30 days. I did not work out at all and I drink soda and ate fast food every single ate before this so I thought the major change would be a shock to my system and make me lose tons of weight.

Working out for an hour a day every day isn't really all that much. If by "working out" you mean going for a 1-hour walk, that's only 200 calories. On a bicycle, that might amount to about 400 calories.

When I started losing weight, I didn't lose anything at all for 10 days, and then it started dropping off and after 5 weeks had passed, I had lost 5 kg (11 lbs). I knew that was quite quick and I kept it up for 16 weeks, but then I slowed my loss to something more reasonable ... about 0.6 kg/week (1.3 lbs/week).

And I aim to exercise a minimum of an hour a day every day ... and have done for about 2 years now. :)

• rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Working out for an hour a day every day isn't really all that much. If by "working out" you mean going for a 1-hour walk, that's only 200 calories. On a bicycle, that might amount to about 400 calories.

When I started losing weight, I didn't lose anything at all for 10 days, and then it started dropping off and after 5 weeks had passed, I had lost 5 kg (11 lbs). I knew that was quite quick and I kept it up for 16 weeks, but then I slowed my loss to something more reasonable ... about 0.6 kg/week (1.3 lbs/week).

And I aim to exercise a minimum of an hour a day every day ... and have done for about 2 years now. :)

Whats your point about working out and only burning 200?
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    have you ever considered LCHF? I averaged nearly 4 pounds a week for the first 6 months and about 2.5 since then. That said...you are doing great

I'm surprised you posted this and no one pulled you up on it. I mention LCHF with good intentions and everyone jumps down my throat like I'm suggesting they drain blood to lose weight???

On another note, LCHF is a very good way to lose fat as well as improve other health markers. Worth considering.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the good start , yes it does seem slow , then i look back . I have mfp set for 1.5 pound loss and im not perfect in my logging or eating . after 5 months it looks like i have averaged 1.75 pounds a week lost .. so right on schedule ,, still seems slow to me tho too . I know the closer i get to my goal im going to have to tighten up my logging and eating ..your doing good from what i can see keep it up

good luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh and it took me around 2-3 years to gain the weight, so taking that long to lose it is my comeuppance for putting on the weight in the first place! :tongue: It's also a good reminder to never, ever regain it, as i don't have the patience or motivation to do this all over again...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Oh and it took me around 2-3 years to gain the weight, so taking that long to lose it is my comeuppance for putting on the weight in the first place! :tongue: It's also a good reminder to never, ever regain it, as i don't have the patience or motivation to do this all over again...

I feel ya it took me 4 years to lose 45lbs and Im still trying to lose the last 24 lbs.took me more than a decade to gain it.The first year I lost 33 lbs but gained half back the beginning of the second year.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Not others on MFP!