Zumba success stories?

Options
nehaad88
nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
edited December 2016 in Success Stories
Hey people,

Do we have any zumba weight loss success stories?

I am planning to start a zumba class and would like to know whether it really works.

If anyone has achieved a good degree of success with Zumba, I would like to know the following:

1. how often and for how long
2. where and when did you Zumba
3. how long did it take to show results
4. what did your diet look like (caloric intake wise)
5. did you do any other form of exercise along with zumba

Thanks,
N

Replies

• catsfire
    catsfire Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would credit it with being a part of my weight loss.

1. Since May of 2015. Twice a week for 50 minutes.
    2. It's at what started as a gym for obese women, which has since grown to be very inclusive of everyone regardless of gender, size, age or physical ability. They tailor each exercise class to have different levels of ability. When I started the Zumba course, I was doing the easiest moves and now I do all the advanced moves.
    3. I was already losing weight with watching what I was eating & walking, but for me, I think it's helped with toning and stamina. Also there is the mental health aspect too, the endorphin rush is great!
    4. I aim for 1400 a day, no real restrictions on what I eat, just aiming to eat as healthy as possible but if I want a dang cookie, I'm going to eat a dang cookie.
    5. I do yoga before Zumba, resistance band, physio exercises (luxating patella for the win...), walk & jogging with dogs. I need to do more weight training but it's trying to fit it all in along with herding training & physio for Key (which involves a lot of running around backwards at this point!)
  • TAMMY7173
    TAMMY7173 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I did some DVD of Zumba for the last 4 weeks. I lost 10 pounds. I did 60 minutes a day.
  • nehaad88
    Options
    catsfire wrote: »
    I would credit it with being a part of my weight loss.

1. Since May of 2015. Twice a week for 50 minutes.
    2. It's at what started as a gym for obese women, which has since grown to be very inclusive of everyone regardless of gender, size, age or physical ability. They tailor each exercise class to have different levels of ability. When I started the Zumba course, I was doing the easiest moves and now I do all the advanced moves.
    3. I was already losing weight with watching what I was eating & walking, but for me, I think it's helped with toning and stamina. Also there is the mental health aspect too, the endorphin rush is great!
    4. I aim for 1400 a day, no real restrictions on what I eat, just aiming to eat as healthy as possible but if I want a dang cookie, I'm going to eat a dang cookie.
    5. I do yoga before Zumba, resistance band, physio exercises (luxating patella for the win...), walk & jogging with dogs. I need to do more weight training but it's trying to fit it all in along with herding training & physio for Key (which involves a lot of running around backwards at this point!)

Thanks for the detailed answer.. may I ask how much weight did you lose?
  • nehaad88
    Options
    TAMMY7173 wrote: »
    I did some DVD of Zumba for the last 4 weeks. I lost 10 pounds. I did 60 minutes a day.

How often do you do it? Is it everyday?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun way to get in some cardio and whole body movements that will help with flexibility, mobility and balance, but it is not a thing I used as a focus for weight loss.

I used a reasonable calorie deficit to lose weight, and ate back my exercise calories to make sure I was well fuelled for everyday activities as well as performing any exercise routine to the best of my ability.

I did a variety of classes at the local rec centre while losing 30 lbs. I think the Zumba was done for about 2 sets of 12 classes x 2 a week while losing the last 5-10 lbs.
    The calorie burn was about 200-250 cals. I ate 200 back.

It didn't help with my weight loss, it helped with my fitness level.

Cheers, h.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba since the end of July of this year.
    I do it at my local gym with a certain instructor. There are other Zumba classes but I only go to my instructor. I go 4 times a week for 60 minutes for each class. Her class is not the typical Zumba. It is very fast paced and she incorporates boxing, squats and hip hop moves. So much fun!
    I had been exercising before and was down about 8 pounds since February 2016 (I am on a slow lifestyle change and only want to lose about 30-35). With Zumba, I have lost 17 pounds bringing my total to 25 pounds lost.
    I have a calorie limit of 1600. I wear a chest strap HRM in Zumba and it says I burn anywhere from 625-750 a class. I eat back some of those calories but not all. I log my food but not religiously since I'm doing a lifestyle change and don't see myself logging every single day for the rest of my life.
    Sometimes I will walk for additional exercise. Once the holidays are over, I will incorporate strength training in my weekly regimen to lose the last 10 pounds and get some definition but I will keep doing Zumba as my main cardio workout. I can feel a difference with my endurance and heart health since starting Zumba. I used to get winded easily and had a very high resting heart rate. My resting heart rate is now is between 60-65.
  • TAMMY7173
    TAMMY7173 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes I do it everyday.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Let's say you burn 500 calories during a Zumba workout and you do that 7 days a week: 7 x 500 = 3,500; all things else being identical you would lose 1 pound a week. So Zumba could technically be used as a weight loss method. HOWEVER, unless you are actively measuring portions and logging food, you have no idea whether or not all things else are identical. If you are tired from your Zumba workout you may be more sedentary the rest of the day, again this would not be identical.

Exercise (alone) is not an effective method for weight loss. Exercise is an effective method for improving your health and it "can" help with weight loss.

Focus on exercise you enjoy. Focus on exercise that helps you meet fitness goals. Because we lose fat+existing lean muscle when we lose weight, you might look to incorporate some form of strength/resistance training also. That will help you retain more lean muscle. Exercise is another lifestyle change for me. I can't just quit exercise when I'm "done" losing. Exercise will help me keep the weight off.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    Hey people,

Do we have any zumba weight loss success stories?

I am planning to start a zumba class and would like to know whether it really works.

If anyone has achieved a good degree of success with Zumba, I would like to know the following:

1. how often and for how long
    2. where and when did you Zumba
    3. how long did it take to show results
    4. what did your diet look like (caloric intake wise)
    5. did you do any other form of exercise along with zumba

Thanks,
    N

Take Zumba because you like it and it is a fun way to be active/exercise. Not if it "really works" like that's the magical answer to lose weight.

You still need a calorie deficit.

And I take Zumba class every Saturday. I love it.

• goneskee
    goneskee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love doing Zumba! I went to some classes a few years ago but shortly after I started going the gym closed and I moved away. fast forward to Jan 2016 I started tracking calories and making better choices diet wise. I started doing the Zumba dvds at home and lost about 25lbs this was mostly due to diet changes. then in July went a Zumba class at a gym and loved it! At first I went to 3 a week, then 5, now I go about 8 times a week. Sometimes doing zumbathons for 2-3 hours at a time. Since I've managed to lose another 30 lbs for a total of 55lbs. That was achieved through mostly dieting the working out was in addition. As a reward for reaching 50lbs, a week ago I became a liscensed Zumba instructor I don't teach or anything but maybe some day!! as i still have a ways to go and lots to learn. So in answering your questions ...

1. Currently go to 8 60 min zumbas a week, with the occasional Zumbathon 1-2 times a month
    2. Where a local gym, and the local high school but started with dvds at home.
    3. Started seeing results within the 1st month and significant results in 3
    4. Diet logged every single thing for the first 6 months since then I'm not as strict but I still log almost everything currently MFP has me at 1360 cals for -2lbs a week ( some weeks I lose that others I don't even when sticking to it)
    5. Every once in awhile I'll do a Jillian micheals DVD at home, or stick around for the lifting class after Zumba but for the most part I've done only Zumba. Though soon I think I'll add weight training to get stronger.

Sorry this was a long reply but hope it helps. While working out has helped and I've fallen in love with Zumba I do feel most my success has come from dieting alone. Working out however has given so much more! I'm happier and more confident in my own skin. I've met amazing and inspiring people. I've been encouraged to stick with the lifestyle change for an entire year! Stamina, endurance and overall health has been improved through workingout!

Best of luck!! And hope you enjoy Zumba it really is a party!!!

If you have more question please don't hesitate to ask!!
  • anyuta_m
    anyuta_m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my favorite cardio workout if done with the right instructors (who is the right instructor for you depends on your preferences for dance styles, music used in the class and a level of intensity). I lost 20 lbs so far with a combination of better diet and Zumba 2-3 times per week and dancing at salsa socials once a week or so. I have 30-40 more lbs to lose, so still a long way from my target weight. I need to add weight training to my exercise schedule. Good luck with Zumba. If you do not like the class you attend, try a different instructor.
  • anyuta_m
    anyuta_m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I forgot to answer some questions
    1. how often and for how long ==> 2 times per week on average for 50-60 minutes
    2. where and when did you Zumba ==> at my gym (LA Fitness to be more specific)
    3. how long did it take to show results ==> Diet was an important part of showing results too. I saw results within a month or so
    4. what did your diet look like (caloric intake wise) ==> 1200-1600 per day
    5. did you do any other form of exercise along with zumba ==> Walking for 45 minutes to an hour, occasional barre class and salsa dancing
  • catsfire
    Options
    @nehaad88

61lbs so far. Another 15-20 lbs more to go
  • catsfire
    Options
    Oh crud. I wrote since May 2015, I meant May 2016.
  • caseyochs
    caseyochs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love going to Zumba! I go to a class for $5 a session that lasts two hours. You definitely feel the burn and become a better dancer once you learn the songs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!