Anyone 5ft 8 tall?

Options

Replies

• shmily76
    shmily76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cannot for the life of me figure this out- I am 5'8", and even eating at 1200/day (for months), I did not lose, and you guys are eating 1800?! Suggestions? I'm 40, 5'8, 200#.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    shmily76 wrote: »
    I cannot for the life of me figure this out- I am 5'8", and even eating at 1200/day (for months), I did not lose, and you guys are eating 1800?! Suggestions? I'm 40, 5'8, 200#.

That doesn't compute. Have you seen a doctor?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I will bet you are not eating 1200

Open your diary
  • akelarae
    akelarae Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and my allowance is 1600 cals. I started 25 days ago and have lost 5 lbs. Not too shabby. I just need patience and consistency!
  • tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    akelarae wrote: »
    I am 5'8 and my allowance is 1600 cals. I started 25 days ago and have lost 5 lbs. Not too shabby. I just need patience and consistency!

Cool! Well as long as it still loss and loss is a loss! It's good! better than nothing! I would be patience too and am sure in the end was worth it. Well done :)
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", I target around 1450 calories. I've lost 80 pounds so far.
  • tropiz9
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    I'm 5'8", I target around 1450 calories. I've lost 80 pounds so far.

Its amazing big loss! Well done!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

ps - I'm 5'6" and lose on 1500 calories before exercise, and I exercise.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    height is only a part of the equation but I am also 5 ft 8 and male. I was at 2662 when I started this journey because I was 235 pounds. at 183 now I consume 2061. Desk job but 4 days weight training and 2-3 sport activities a week. Ice hockey so basically Hiit. keep up the good work
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What does being 5 ft 8 inches tall have to do with weight loss ? Just curious

Good luck
  • tropiz9
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

Good luck

Oh, I just find out if they r all same or similar on their calories goal and lose weight too! I'm interesting to know that's all.

• ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »

Good luck

I'd assume that she's interested to know how much women of a similar size need to eat in order to lose weight at a sensible rate.

The answer, for many of us, is considerably more than the 1200 than a smaller woman might need.

Build, activity and starting weight will cause that to vary quite a lot, of course.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks guess I have been so focused on weight and calories I didn't think of different height people . That would effect your weight range I guess ..

Merry Christmas everyone
  • Leaz947
    Leaz947 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", female, 18 years old and I eat about 1500/1700 calories per day and I am losing weight without doing anything besides walking.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    5'8" female, lost about 80lbs since the start of March this year. I do about 1200 per day, and that's given me an average loss of just a touch under 2lbs/week, starting faster and very gradually slowing (as you'd expect).

I am pretty sedentary with sporadic activity.
  • tropiz9
    Options
    Leaz947 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8", female, 18 years old and I eat about 1500/1700 calories per day and I am losing weight without doing anything besides walking.

Well done! Keep going! :) this dieting like flexible not like strict diet this good thing
  • tropiz9
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    5'8" female, lost about 80lbs since the start of March this year. I do about 1200 per day, and that's given me an average loss of just a touch under 2lbs/week, starting faster and very gradually slowing (as you'd expect).

I am pretty sedentary with sporadic activity.

Wow! Since March this year?! It amazing and well done you big loss 80lbs! mfp dieting simple as enjoy the food while lose weight whichs good!
    Well done again :)
  • CactusCat58
    CactusCat58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    It's going to depend on your metabolism. I know some ladies that can lose weight at 1900 cal/day and others that eat 1300 cal/day to lose weight. Go by trial and error. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

Your calories per day are based on other factors besides just your height so you can't go by what another person is doing because even if they are the same height, age, gender & weight your base metabolic rates are different. MFP and all programs like it are a general guideline, but you'll need to do a little trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

I am 5'8", workout for 2 hrs a day 5 days a week but struggle to lose a pound a week even when I'm showing a calorie deficit of 1500 a day because I am hypothyroid and have a metabolic disorder. Everyone is different.
  • CactusCat58
    CactusCat58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    It's going to depend on your metabolism. I know some ladies that can lose weight at 1900 cal/day and others that eat 1300 cal/day to lose weight. Go by trial and error. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

I agree with the Your calories per day are based on other factors besides just your height so you can't go by what another person is doing because even if they are the same height, age, gender & weight your base metabolic rates are different. MFP and all programs like it are a general guideline, but you'll need to do a little trial and error to figure out what works best for you.

I am 5'8", workout for 2 hrs a day 5 days a week but struggle to lose a pound a week even when I'm showing a calorie deficit of 1500 a day because I am hypothyroid and have a metabolic disorder. Everyone is different.

I meant to say that I completely agree with terbusha's post!!! Sorry about that!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 8" and set at sedentary and to lose a half pound per week and MFP gives me 1330 calories/day. I have lost about 25 pounds since July. One more pound and I will change my goal to maintenance!