Searching for Low-Carb, High-Protein Breakfast Ideas

Options
Morning, everyone...

So I'm in the process of transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a low-carb diet that reintroduces lean meats and good fats. It's going smoothly, but I'm having trouble coming up with breakfast meals that fulfill this. I've been a cereal guy since I was a kid, but obviously that has to go.

I know eggs fit this, but I don't know if I have time every morning to fix myself eggs. I'm sure there are plenty of breakfast meats to add here, but again...time. Of course, if the only quick options for this are the trans-fatty, processed-as-@#$% kinds...I guess I'll just have to get up earlier.

Does anyone else have some experience with this that would be willing to enlighten me?

Replies

• bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I always wake up early enough to make myself breakfast, then use that time to lay around or play with my dog, so I usually spend about 90 seconds on breakfast food prep.

I always buy a dozen eggs and immediately boil them, so if I need something fast, I can just remove the shell and eat the egg.

Greek yogurt is also one of my go-to breakfast (or anytime) foods. If you can handle plain, go for it. I personally hate plain yogurt, so I either add a bit of lemon zest and splenda, or I just buy the vanilla flavor. Just watch the sugars in the yogurt, the amount varies greatly by brand. I've found that the Fred Meyer store brand actually has the lowest amount of sugar per serving, compared to other brands.

When I have a bit more time, or am way more hungry, I cook an egg, put it on Flatout bread with about an ounce of avocado, a handful of spinach, and some roasted veggies leftover from the night before. Still only takes about 5 minutes if I leave the dishes for after work.

Good luck!
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Dean Delights Turkey Sausage and egg white muffins.
  • davidrapp5
    davidrapp5 Posts: 14
    Options
    I always wake up early enough to make myself breakfast, then use that time to lay around or play with my dog, so I usually spend about 90 seconds on breakfast food prep.

I always buy a dozen eggs and immediately boil them, so if I need something fast, I can just remove the shell and eat the egg.

Greek yogurt is also one of my go-to breakfast (or anytime) foods. If you can handle plain, go for it. I personally hate plain yogurt, so I either add a bit of lemon zest and splenda, or I just buy the vanilla flavor. Just watch the sugars in the yogurt, the amount varies greatly by brand. I've found that the Fred Meyer store brand actually has the lowest amount of sugar per serving, compared to other brands.

When I have a bit more time, or am way more hungry, I cook an egg, put it on Flatout bread with about an ounce of avocado, a handful of spinach, and some roasted veggies leftover from the night before. Still only takes about 5 minutes if I leave the dishes for after work.

Good luck!

Oh, man, some of those sound fantastic! I've always got eggs in my fridge, because I love cooking breakfast on Sundays. And I'm starting to get avocados a lot more often, so putting them together just makes sense. I've noticed that some of those Greek yogurts get pretty substantial carbs (15g+), so maybe just once in a while. I used to have one of those microwave folding omelette makers...I'll have to look, but that's always an option, too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Mix;

2 eggs
    2 turkey pepperoni sticks
    2 mushrooms
    1/2 bell pepper
    28g of soy cheese

Throw in microwave until cooked

TADA!!! Breakfast