Fruit.. Does it make anyone else hungry like 10 mins later??

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I find fruit to be filling. Especially apples.

When it comes to satiety, people are different.

Same here. Fruit can carry me over for hours at a time. Love the stuff and how it fills me up.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm another who finds fruit is not filling and tends to stimulate my appetite. I do have perdiabetes (sugar imbalance?) so my blood glucose tends to swing more widely than in healthy people.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    An apple is like 90 calories of sugar with a little fiber. If you were in the process of getting hungry for your next meal, that's not going to cut it. It has nothing to do with a sugar imbalance. Less than 100 calories with no fat or protein is just not filling for most people!

^^^This...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I just Googled it. Most of the answers are that it's high in sugar and therefore doesn't fill you up and can trigger hunger.
    I have no idea if that's true.

But that can't be true. That idea only works with foods like pasta, bread, rice, and "junk" food. Don't you know that magical properties of fibre cancel out the sugar-induced hungries?
    83936-sarcasm-gif-sbwq.gif
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but when I eat fruit by itself, I get a belly ache. The only exception is bananas...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just Googled it. Most of the answers are that it's high in sugar and therefore doesn't fill you up and can trigger hunger.

You can't just google something like that. Reaction to foods/satiety is individual. That some find apples filling (like me) or not (like OP) doesn't say a thing about whether they are inherently so -- they aren't inherently filling or not, period.

Here's a really good discussion of satiety and the different factors that go into it, as well as how various diets affect it when things like palatability are controlled (although in the real world they are not): https://examine.com/nutrition/high-carb-high-satiety/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=blogpost-121516&utm_medium=insiders

I like this bit:

"What can influence the satiety of a meal?

A wide range of factors can influence satiety. Palatability, the volume of food consumed, caloric density, amount and type of fiber, and whether the food is delivered as a liquid or solid can all play a role."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can't just google something like that. Reaction to foods/satiety is individual. That some find apples filling (like me) or not (like OP) doesn't say a thing about whether they are inherently so -- they aren't inherently filling or not, period.

Here's a really good discussion of satiety and the different factors that go into it, as well as how various diets affect it when things like palatability are controlled (although in the real world they are not): https://examine.com/nutrition/high-carb-high-satiety/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=blogpost-121516&utm_medium=insiders

I like this bit:

A wide range of factors can influence satiety. Palatability, the volume of food consumed, caloric density, amount and type of fiber, and whether the food is delivered as a liquid or solid can all play a role."

Notice what word isn't in there?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

But that can't be true. That idea only works with foods like pasta, bread, rice, and "junk" food. Don't you know that magical properties of fibre cancel out the sugar-induced hungries?
    83936-sarcasm-gif-sbwq.gif

Yeah- I'm not agreeing with it!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

I like this bit:

Thanks - interesting. Google did bring up quite a few articles besides the quack ones - I was just giving what seemed to be the overall one sentence response to a question which, judging from the search results,seems to be a frequent one
  • comptonelizabeth
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ps knew I'd get jumped on though - guess I asked for it :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just to be clear, I'm not intending to jump on you! ;-) (Mostly I wanted to post that link and it was a good opportunity.) There are tons of sites on the internet that tend to make pronouncements about what is and is not satiating or what foods are good or bad on a diet or stuff like that, so I think it's important to debunk that and point out that it's personal. I never get why people think they are better off reading someone else's opinion about what is satisfying or filling vs. their own experience (not aimed at you, more general comment).

I think looking at general things like "usually fiber is filling" or "usually protein is filling" can be helpful in deciding things to try if you are starting with cutting calories or changing a diet, but ultimately how you react is what matters. So apples simply aren't filling for OP, that's important for her to know. Doesn't change that they are filling for others (or can be when combined with other foods, depending on the person).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple most days as a snack a little before lunchtime. It doesn't make me hungrier after. Personally, I find fiber to be the best for satiety, and apples have a good amount (4-5 grams). It'll tend to hold me for about two hours most days. If I'm trying to make it a heartier snack, I eat it with peanut butter.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Just to be clear, I'm not intending to jump on you! ;-) (Mostly I wanted to post that link and it was a good opportunity.) There are tons of sites on the internet that tend to make pronouncements about what is and is not satiating or what foods are good or bad on a diet or stuff like that, so I think it's important to debunk that and point out that it's personal. I never get why people think they are better off reading someone else's opinion about what is satisfying or filling vs. their own experience (not aimed at you, more general comment).

I think looking at general things like "usually fiber is filling" or "usually protein is filling" can be helpful in deciding things to try if you are starting with cutting calories or changing a diet, but ultimately how you react is what matters. So apples simply aren't filling for OP, that's important for her to know. Doesn't change that they are filling for others (or can be when combined with other foods, depending on the person).

No it's fine,I was laughing at myself. And on the whole I agree with you. Except,the op was asking if it was the same for other people - of course it's a personal thing ,I agree. :smile:
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I believe I have developed some sort of sugar imbalance issue over the past couple of years so it sort of makes sense why eating an apple for a snack causes me to have to eat an entire meal 10 mins later.. just wondering if anyone else deals with this problem?

Yep. Same thing happens to me. It's not just a apple. It is all fruit. I don't have any type of sugar imbalance that I am aware of just shortly after eating fruit I got to have something salty in my mouth!! Eating sugar sweets do not do me that way........just sayin'!!!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I like this bit:

Notice what word isn't in there?

The debil? >:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fruit- because it isn't a "source of sustenance" for me- it's just "in addition too"- so I don't really consider it something that makes me full.

Being said- I feel the same way about carbs- people rave about oatmeal being something that sticks with them.
    Shrug- nope. just hungry- which is why I don't eat it usually.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. With apples, I can eat a ton of apple slices and still be hungry but if I eat a single whole apple, I'll be full for a while. Same with sliced strawberries-- I can go through a whole jar of sliced ones and be hungry but when I eat a handful of whole berries I'll be full. Grapes are lovely in any and all forms, as are bananas.

I typically only use fruit as a 'buffer' between meals, like if I eat breakfast and it's four hours until lunch so I eat a banana two hours before lunch because I'm hungry. Or I use it to fill those darn 'You have 73 calories remaining for the day' things where my deficit is too small for a legit meal but too large for me to just ignore.

Have you considered snacking on veggies instead? I personally love munching on carrots or celery as a snack.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Apples are high fodmap so they make me feel like crap so I quit eating them. Now if I eat a banana then I stay fuller longer.
  • shanahz
    shanahz Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I find that apples just make me hungrier. They never really hit the spot.
  • Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also feel hugry after eating apples