Creatine

Options
Creatine, yes or no? Any success or horror stories? Thanks!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Every brand I've tried gave me the runs. I can take a reallllly small amount and lessen the effects, but I've "responded" in such a way every time. I could go into more detail but I will spare you.
    Had many people tell me try x brand take x dose etc, I've tried different things... but I'd rather not crap myself whilst lifting so I guess I'll live without.
    Mainly contributing because you asked about horror stories haha.
    Most people don't have this problem I guess.
  • dws00
    dws00 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That is definitely a bad side effect. Appreciate you responding, I'm looking for the good and bad results.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Creatine works great for me. I notice a big difference in how much I can lift. I fortunately haven't had the side effects mentioned above. I only take 3-4 grams a day and didn't do that thing where you take a lot at first. Just a teaspoon every morning. I've taken creatine at that dose up to six months with no ill effects.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 5g/day for going on 4 months. No horror stories but no apparent benefit either. Have about 1# left. Only way to find out if it's been doing any good is to stop using it, which I plan to do when I run out.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only the plain, ordinary, run of the mill variety. Don't pay for expensive concoctions that add very little to the effectiveness. If you pay more than $7 for 90 days you paid too much. :smile:

I use it during the off season when I'm recovering from my races and building muscle.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Everything you ever wanted to know about creatine: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    i've been taking it for a year or more, no ill effects. i'm a little manic about making sure that i drink loooooots of water with it though, and i keep it to maximum 5g/day and usually a little bit less.

benefits: idk if it makes me stronger. it does make me feel a lot more comfortable physically since creatine sucks water into your muscles and that means mine move more smoothly. it's more of a cure for an existing problem for me, not so much an enhancement on an already-okay form of 'normal'. my normal has 'dry' muscles that stick and snag no matter how well-hydrated i am, so the creatine helps. less abrasion and inflammation, especially at the insertion/attachments close to my joints.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that take it year on year and say they get all kinds of benefits (joint health, strength,etc.) however I found I got bloated, held water and didn't see any gym progress.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    It causes bloat and constipation for the 1st week for me...just drink more water and eat more fiber. I've experimented with it; and for me, t helps with recovery more than lifting. I'm about to drop it to make weight...it has caused a 3lb weight gain (mostly water retention) in the 1st week of starting everytime.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes (generally).

Horror: Keep ripping through new shirts.

Success: Keep ripping through new shirts.

Ok, not really.

Creatine is simply an "edge giver" that might enable an extra couple reps. It's not magic in building muscle... it just enables the body to push a bit more of the function (energy output) that stimulates growth. It's generally cumulative, not instant overnight mind-blowing, shirt-shredding, bar bending pumps.

That said, responses vary but it's one of few supplements that's been consistently proven effective.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Creatine is the one supplement with the most scientific studies to back it's effectiveness. I've taken 3 gram/day for probably 10 years now.

Don't fall for all the fancy, overpriced creatine "blends". Just get a good Creapure Creatine (Optimum Nutrition's Creatine is one example).
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with creatine too. I like it best when it's combined with the glutamine product. I tend to build muscle very easily so I don't take it all the time.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of trying it for the first time (for context - age 56, maintaining weight).
    For first 3 weeks wouldn't say I could notice anything at all positive or negative but recently I seem to be having some better than usual workouts/results in the gym. Too early to tell if it's just a coincidence.

I didn't do a loading phase by the way.

Nothing negative noted, no bloating, weight gain or stomach upsets.
    It's a very cheap and well researched/understood supplement so not really seeing much of a reason not to give it a try.