Strength training - weight plateau?

Options
Hey all!

After reading many, many posts on the advantages of strength training for girls, I bought and read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm almost through stage one, so I've been doing it for a little over a month. I like the program, I feel stronger and empowered, and I've noticed SLIGHT changes in measurements. (Seriously slight. Nothing anyone else would ever notice.)

But. The scale has not gone down. In the past month I have gradually upped my calories, because I was eating at 1200 and had no energy for my workouts. (I also run 3x a week) I know starting a new exercise program can cause temporary weight gain, and I know lifting can cause temporary weight gain... but it's been about a month, so I'm thinking it's past the temporary stage. I still have about 7-8 pounds that I would like to lose, and it just doesn't seem to be happening!

So, what to do MFP world? Should I decrease my calories again? Suck it up because the strength training is working? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I would keep going. Really, a month is nothing. The program usually takes 3-5 months. When you're done I would reevaluate. Trust the process. :)

I've done the program twice, a year apart, and had great results, both in strength, and body fat decrease. My weight has been the same throughout but I'm smaller all over.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your body fat percentage. If it is already in the lower range you'll find that it'll be tough to get it lower. Guys have this problem too when they are trying to get below around 12% BF (women's percentage equivalents are higher, read about it if you don't know about it already).

I'm not sure otherwise why you're not loosing, although I would encourage you to keep at it. If you're only weighing once a week, keep in mind that big meals on Saturday night can affect Sunday morning's weight (if you eat a pound, you weigh a pound, till you poop a pound). Your muscles also begin to retain more fluid when you strength train (this is a good thing, makes them more effective), although I'm pretty sure that this effect is minimal when observed on the scale (and I'm not talking about "pump").

Hmm, otherwise I'm really not sure. Can you give more info that might help, what are your calorie goals up to? What is your current weight and height?
  • butreally12
    butreally12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm not positive what my body fat percentage is because my scale varies greatly, but it's definitely not in the lower range haha.

More info: I'm 5'3'', female, and currently at about 126 pounds. I'd like to lose maybe 7-8 more, but I'd be fine with weighing a lot more if it meant I was less flabby and more built! I try to eat about 1450 on my rest days, which is 1-2x a week. On lifting days, I try to eat around 1700, and on running days I eat maybe 1750-1800. I calculated those based on both the book and TDEE and BMR and all that... honestly the numbers seem arbitrary anyway and I did round them off to make it easier so maybe that's my problem...

Thanks in advance everyone!
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes feeling lose at all? if so, its working.

You should take measurements and that is where you will see your results.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm not positive what my body fat percentage is because my scale varies greatly, but it's definitely not in the lower range haha.

More info: I'm 5'3'', female, and currently at about 126 pounds. I'd like to lose maybe 7-8 more, but I'd be fine with weighing a lot more if it meant I was less flabby and more built! I try to eat about 1450 on my rest days, which is 1-2x a week. On lifting days, I try to eat around 1700, and on running days I eat maybe 1750-1800. I calculated those based on both the book and TDEE and BMR and all that... honestly the numbers seem arbitrary anyway and I did round them off to make it easier so maybe that's my problem...

Thanks in advance everyone!

Yeah that's weird. I dated a girl who was about 5ft, and I think she weighed 120... she looked great :) Not even a little chubby (and don't get the wrong idea, I love chubby women too). She wasn't even busty or anything like that, so I'm at a loss. Can you post a photo?

Either way, try this: weigh yourself everyday, in the morning after using the restroom. Only use the recent 7 day low as your current weight. This is because water retention and food can lead to artificially higher weight on the scale (fluctuations), but the lowest weight can only go down when you actually loose something. Maybe it's just an measurement error.

As for the calories, hell I don't know. I'm always suprised by how little women need to eat to sustain themselves. I'm bulking at 2700 and gaining slowly, and I'm about your height too.
  • butreally12
    Options
    Are your clothes feeling lose at all? if so, its working.

You should take measurements and that is where you will see your results.

My clothes are fitting looser, but it's because I lost around 30 pounds before now... haven't really noticed a difference since starting weight lifting or over the past few months!
  • butreally12
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah that's weird. I dated a girl who was about 5ft, and I think she weighed 120... she looked great :) Not even a little chubby (and don't get the wrong idea, I love chubby women too). She wasn't even busty or anything like that, so I'm at a loss. Can you post a photo?

Either way, try this: weigh yourself everyday, in the morning after using the restroom. Only use the recent 7 day low as your current weight. This is because water retention and food can lead to artificially higher weight on the scale (fluctuations), but the lowest weight can only go down when you actually loose something. Maybe it's just an measurement error.

As for the calories, hell I don't know. I'm always suprised by how little women need to eat to sustain themselves. I'm bulking at 2700 and gaining slowly, and I'm about your height too.
    [/quote]

Hmmm, I'll try weighing more and see what happens! The scale definitely does fluctuate a lot - it's definitely frustrating! I'll also try to post a picture later... I'm pretty self-conscious still so we'll see! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of time and patience. Your number on the scale is going to slow down because you're going to constantly be retaining water in your muscles for repair. In my experience, 1 Lb per week weight loss completely disappeared because it was masked by about 6-8 Lbs of water...I didn't actually show a loss on the scale until about two months after I started because of the water. But in that same time I dropped about 2% BF. When you're lifting, you'll still lose and still lose fat obviously...but it's well masked by water being retained for muscle repair.

Also, 1 month isn't going to be really all that noticeable with your weight training...I've been at it for about 9 months now and am just getting the, "wow...you been hitting the weight room" comments. It takes time.

I still weigh myself, but I really pay little attention to that number...it's just a number now and I don't have a "goal weight"...I have a goal BF% and I use my calipers far more than my scale. Also, if you're using a scale to measure BF, it's really off...it can't tell the difference between BF and water...get a decent pair of calipers...they're like $20.
  • butreally12
    Options
    Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. I know that I'm getting stronger (I was squatting more than some guy in the gym yesterday... HA!) and I do know not to focus so much on the scale... it's just a hard shift to make! I don't have all that much more to lose, so I know it's going to be slower going now anyway. Thank you!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would go with water retention ....are you drinking a lot of water? By a lot I am talking north of ten glasses a day and peeing like a race horse...I started doing that about three weeks ago and lost about five pounds in water weight...
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense. I know that I'm getting stronger (I was squatting more than some guy in the gym yesterday... HA!) and I do know not to focus so much on the scale... it's just a hard shift to make! I don't have all that much more to lose, so I know it's going to be slower going now anyway. Thank you!!

Is the amount of weight you push in the gym at least increasing? Sounds like it.

If so, that's progress. Not a plateau. You need to consider a lot more than just your bodyweight...that's basically an irrelevant number (or should be considered so for the time being).

Personally, I've been experienceing had a totally different type of plateau...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1050878-if-doms-is-not-the-gold-standard-of-recovery-time-what-is

I figured out our minds can play tricks on us!
  • butreally12
    Options
    I would go with water retention ....are you drinking a lot of water? By a lot I am talking north of ten glasses a day and peeing like a race horse...I started doing that about three weeks ago and lost about five pounds in water weight...

I really do need to start drinking more water.... one of those things I know but ten to ignore ;) Thanks!
  • butreally12
    Options

Is the amount of weight you push in the gym at least increasing? Sounds like it.

If so, that's progress. Not a plateau. You need to consider a lot more than just your bodyweight...that's basically an irrelevant number (or should be considered so for the time being).

Personally, I've been experienceing had a totally different type of plateau...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1050878-if-doms-is-not-the-gold-standard-of-recovery-time-what-is

I figured out our minds can play tricks on us!

Yes, I definitely have been increasing my weight steadily (I probably started out too light, but each workout is a challenge).
  • brucedcruz3
    Options
    For maximal muscle gains in record time, you must focus on the big three lifts (Squat, Bench press, deadlift) Go here it will explain why. http://bigbrucesreviews.com/deadlift-dynamite
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Wow, if that's a picture of your body... well I would never kick you out of bed lol Damn, what are you so concerned with exactly? ;)

I'm being 100% honest here, you've got nothing to worry about. Your bodyfat% is low compared to the women I see here talking about loosing pounds on the scale... you're going to lose slower now because you are at a lower bf%. Like I said before, men have the same problem too.

You look great, I would train now for effect, not for scale weight. You look like you're at about 25%, so loosing weight for you will be tougher, and the way to go about it is a little different. Now you have to consider exactly what your goals are, and pursue that more than weight.

Ffor example, I would eventually like my abs to show, but that will take dieting to about 10% bodyfat. I don't care what weight I am at that point, because my actual goal is aesthetic, and there are certain requirements for that asthetic. Now, I don't want to shredded, just defined, which is why I don't believe right now that I would want to go down further. I also want to be stronger and grow my build, which means that I would have to continue weight training. Again, my actual weight doesn't matter in any of this, it's just a blunt tool that I use to help give me an idea of my progress.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • Jcrowder2169
    Options
    According to those pics..,,25% is my ideal woman!
  • butreally12
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment and the replies!! Those pictures were interesting.. I'm probably between 25% and 30%, realistically speaking. I definitely do need to stop focusing just on the scale numbers, and I do know that loosing weight will be slower going now. It's hard though, especially when I still see some of my friends loosing 2-3 pounds a week!

Thanks so much guys!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    One month is not long enough to judge your progress by.

Changing your exercise routine interferes with *weight* loss, though it can mobilize fat loss. People have already mentioned water retention due to increased muscle glycogen--this adds weight and girth, though it levels out as you keep training.

You are pretty small and light, and your bf% is relatively low. Let me suggest that for now, you worry less about the weight on your scale and more about the weight you are lifting. Who cares what you weigh--wouldn't you rather be strong and have a decent amount of lean body mass? Speaking of amount of LBM, if you want strength gains, you have to eat more. Try ramping your calories up to maintenance in 100 cal/week increments (estimate it as your current weight times 14, or use one of the online calculators as a starting point). Your training performance will improve and your weight will not suffer.