Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Who are you really doing this for?

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    It's a mix of doing this for me and my husband. He got sick of me always covering my belly or dimming the lights when i was niggedy. Even though he could care less about any extra podge, i just felt uncomfortable in the nud.

The kicker is that by trying to cover up certain parts all the time, it just drew his attention to them, whereas he wouldn't have even noticed otherwise.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    nowine4me wrote: »
    In this instance, be selfish. It really is all about you.

This. I've done this whole thing because the alternative was type 2 diabetes, and I didn't want to have to deal with that for the rest of my life. There's nice side effects of reaching my weight/health goals, but at the end of the day it's about my health and my long term well being :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    While I always knew at some point I would lose weight I can say that what started me was when my friend who was going to the gym started to look really good. I wanted to look better for him and that got me started. Moral of that story, I lost weight, got dropped because he felt I was getting too small and he stopped going to the gym and gained weight and I still go and manage my eating . . . we are cordial ;)
  • Gamerchick00
    Gamerchick00 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm doing it because I'm now in my forties and feel like I've limited myself so much in participating in life outside of the household because I'm so embarrassed to be seen in public. I want to allow myself to go out and live more, and if I'm being honest, I simply won't cross that line now as much as when I'm healthier and more 'normal' looking body wise. I've tried, and I end up backing out of so many things because of body shame.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Honestly it started out more for my kids than for me. I am 60 and didn't want to be old and sick and a burden to them. Now it is also for me because I feel so much better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    jessicaOVO wrote: »
    Have any of you started your weight loss journey thinking you were doing this for yourself but you're actually doing it for others? How it affect your journey and did you ever make a mental switch?

I was never on a weight loss journey...I'm on a health and wellness journey (I hate that term) that I just call "good livin"...losing some weight was a nice product of good livin', but only one tiny piece of the overall puzzle.

I started out with a bunch of bad blood work and my doctor telling me that at the rate I was going I would likely be very sick, if not dead by 60...I have a wife and at the time, a 2. y.o. and an infant...that was really an unacceptable outcome.

I do this whole good livin' thing for myself as well as my family so that I can be there for them for a long time to come.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,102 Member
    I am only doing it for me. My husband would probably prefer if I was about 20 pounds heavier than I am now. But I am not doing this for him and he is glad I am healthy now. I think he just kind of likes curvy.