Slippy hands when lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would like to know... and this might help you.... if there is a thin, breathable, yet grippy glove? There must be. I tried just regular gloves and my sweaty hands get REALLY sweaty, and they just seem to get in the way. I'm on the lookout for something better.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like to use regular chalk. You can buy it cheap at a mountain climbing store. It may be different in other places, but the same chalk used for lifting and mountain climbing is priced differently depending on the way it is marketed.

Sports Chek sells 'lifting chalk' for 15 dollars where I bought the same amount at an MEC (I think REI is the American equivalent) for $1.50 CAD.

There is a such thing as mountain climbing stores? I need to go outside more often.

Maybe I called it the wrong thing? It's just the store that sells outdoor sporting goods such as mountain climbing harnesses, camping equipment, kayaks, etc. They don't sell basketballs and baseball bats so I didn't know calling it a sporting goods store would have been clear.

Anyways, that was a diversion...

Back to our regularly scheduled programming lol

Where I live there are no mountains, so all we have is Walmart and Check-Cashing stores.

Eastern Mountain Sports, or the like. Anywhere that has rock-climbing equipment should have it. Dick's Sporting Goods also has chalk, although it was locked away in a completely different department where I'm at - I had to ask, and the kid had to get on his intercom with his manager and still had trouble finding it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Alternating single hand swings? Haven't done that one, must try! Sounds like fun.
    Even more fun when you do it with a quick release, watch it float in the air for a second and then grab it with the other hand!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use gloves. eczema on my right palm eliminates using any drying agent or chalk on my hands. Beside, I don't want to get blood on the weights if my skin cracks under the pressure. :D
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The real issue is your grip strength. Start training your grip and wrist strength and nothing will slip out.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    My hands get really sweaty during workouts as well. I ended up wrapping tennis racquet grip tape around my kettlebell handles. It ultimately adds a tiny bit of thickness to the handle, but it seems to be working quite well.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use them at a gym, so I don't think that would go down well!
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This is what I use

And this is the bottle I prefer to buy cause I can hang it on my water bottle and key chain.. so I'm never without it.
    LMVUsBA5b44.jpg

Oh yeah... and wash your hands before you start working out and when your palms get extremely sweaty. It's a trick we do to hang on the pole for a full song. Clean hands have better grip.. and it takes time to work up palm sweat again.
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Fat Gripz for your regular lifting to improve grip strength, or do they have something like straps for kettlebells? I have the same problem but I just wipe my palms off on my shorts before every set.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    trudie_b wrote: »
    I have very sweaty hands, and this is becoming a big problem at the gym. Working with free weights isn't so bad, but swinging kettlebells can be pretty dangerous when the handle is slipping around in your grip! I really don't want to have to wear gloves unless I have no choice - has anyone found anything else that works? I bought liquid chalk from Amazon, which supposedly stops your hands sweating too - I sweated it off in literally 30 seconds.

Have you tried lifting straps?

Frank
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I've ended up buying lifting gloves, we'll see how I get on with those.