I'm embarrassed to run...

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I was a big runner when I started and was very self conscious. Today, I'm not so big and I ran a half marathon. When I see larger runners on the street, I want to stop and cheer them on. My first thought is ALWAYS "good for her!" Don't let anything stop you -- please just get out there and have fun.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As someone already said: Runners don't care. Non-runners don't matter.
    Nobody starts off as graceful as a gazelle and fast as a cheetah. We're all starting from our own individual place and trying to get better -- which means, we all know we are not perfect and great. So, who's to judge?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Oh my. Running is very dangerouse exercise for overweight people. It's very high impact move. It means that when u make impact of 260lb about the ground your knees recieve bump of 4X of this weight, in your case it 's more than 1000lb. Do u think your knees and back will be able to sustain this impuct for long? Ofcaurse u can start doing anything you want. But think about thousand of different types of moves, that make u to loose weight faster and without danger to your muscular-sceletone system. These are low impact exercises. Try to lift your leg 90 degrees and hold it at this level for 30 sec. What do u feel at the end? I believe your heart rate become more than 160 b/min, your musles burn, your abs get involved a lot, your base leg start burning too, your butt shakes and hurts, your spine muscles have great tension too. Sounds like you complete very intensive complex of exercises. At the same time u did not do even little impact on your bones and tendons, instead, you improved very much many group of muscles and ran good cardio session. Do it for 30 min and you will burn more cal then with slow jog, and your muscles will get body weight session, meaning that your fat will be burning even next 24 hrs.
    Please, do research on low impact exercises before get running and hurting your tendons. Repare tendons takes long time up to 9 months. You don't want to stay away from exercises for long 9 months to repare torn tendons.

What what? No.

If one starts off slowly and builds up the intensity without pushing themselves too much, there will be little to no injury.
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started by walking with short (as in very very short!) Intervals of running and gradually building up the running. I'm in my 50s and can now run 3k and planning on a 5k in the spring. It's easy for some people to say "don't worry about what others think" but it can be difficult if you're overweight or lack confidence. I run early when it's still dark but hopefully by the time the lighter mornings come in I'll have more confidence. Remember we are all doing more than than the couch potatoes who just sit and criticise!!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Don't feel embarrassed. I felt awful and anxious going running and I was never significantly overweight - I still thought people would stare or laugh at me when I first started. You just have to bite the bullet. I still get people looking at me and teenage boys shouting at me or whistling, etc. Or people laughing at me. I don't know how horrible a person you can be to do that. But still at least I m exercising when they're just doing nothing!
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This thread made me happy. Generally I think MVP forums is filled with a lot of ..

I have nothing to add really, other what most people have already said, you are doing this for YOU, and not for anyone else, so you just go out there and do some huff and puff, just start slowly. I would actually recommend the app Zombies run 5K. Its really gentle in the beginning, and you get a great story along the way.

Hope to see you out there soon runner 5, Abel town needs you.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    As an obese runner I started c25k at 288lbs. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. I started running using the c25k program on the dirt lane that I live on. After a while I started a loop of my town. I ran this at 5am so people didn't have to see me and so that I didn't have to worry about much traffic. After a couple of months people started telling my wife that I looked so much better after losing the weight and that they saw me running. I'm not a good runner and I'm sure by the way my shoes wear that my running gait is far from perfect but I'll go now in the snow, rain,m or on ice it is a fantastic stress reliever. my advice is good shoes, good athletic wear(moisture wicking underwear/socks the shirts help but aren't a must have), headphones(mine are open so I can hear traffic behind me plantronics backbeat fit), and most important a regular schedule (plan out a time in your day that is dedicated to running 5am works for me because thats early enough in the day I can't get caught up in other projects).
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's a good opportunity to develop stronger character. Having a sense of humor, and being able to laugh at yourself are powerful tools in dealing with the outside world.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm a big runner.

I'm only 13 pounds from not being one, though. Thanks to running!

I was 40 pounds heavier when I started, and other runners have been nothing but amazing. I've had a gentleman stop me and tell me that he has noticed how hard I'm working and how much I've improved. I've gotten high fives, great jobs, an invitation to a running club- seriously most runners are just so nice and just like that someone is running!

I have been yelled at from cars a handful of times. Someone even moo'ed at me once. I just ignore them. I can lose the weight- they will always be an *kitten*. I
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You are right some will laugh. But its not about them its about you so i say "F" them and what they say
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    People may well laugh. [impolite verb] them. The most important voice is the one in your head, and if that voice is telling you to get moving, then get moving. And who knows? You could well end up being the inspiration for somebody else who's hesitant to start ... to start.

Finally, be prepared for running to be unpleasant, at least at first. Just about every runner I know (including myself), has gone through some variation of these stages:
    1. I HATE running!
    2. I don't really enjoy running, but it's a means to an end.
    3. I actually like running.
    4. I LOVE running!
    5. I ... I sort of need running.
    Advancing beyond #1 will take some time, but it can be worth the effort for the effect it can have on your body and your mindset. If running turns out not to be for you, try biking or hiking or swimming or whatever. The best exercise program for you is the one that you will do. Now lace 'em up and get out there, man.

Yes --100% THIS!! And might I add that anyone who would look at an overweight person exercising and think anything negative isn't worth a single second of thought. Don't let anything stop you.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Screw the haters. I've run outside at over 200 lbs and never encountered any harassment even when I could barely run more than 30 seconds at a time. There is nothing shameful about bettering yourself .
  • TalQureshi
    TalQureshi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I agree with all the points and motivational comments everyone had been making.

I've had that same feeling and thought f*** people, I'm doing this for me and my loved ones.

I started by running in parks or quiet areas, then before I knew it I was doing 10 miles cross country running around town :)

Also for my weight loss I'm doing the insanity workout's and that has been the main contributing factor in getting my stamina and speed back up.

Get out there, have fun and be yourself!

Side note: I use Strava or runtastic when running. They are both great apps. They tell you your fastest miles, pace and achievements.

Good luck
    Tal
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese when I started C25K a couple of years ago. I ran around a nearby lake where I wouldn't be seen. The app makes you run at different intervals depending on what week you are in. It finally happened that I was behind a couple walking their dog and knew the woman on the app was about to tell me to "begin running." I finally decided to suck it up and go for it. Only the dog reacted. That was the biggest hurdle, then it was easier. Since then I've done several 5Ks, run around in Boot Camp and HIIT classes and don't even think about it anymore. The bottom line is that most people don't care about you and I mean that in a good way. Have fun with it.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    madxwolf wrote: »
    I'm 265lbs but I've always dreamed about being a runner. I need to get my weight significantly down for a surgery I'm having in about a year. I know running will be a huge help to weight loss but... I'm embarrassed to run while being over weight. I feel like people will laugh at me on the street for being "that fat guy running". Does anyone have advice on how I can get over my anxiety?

First off, anyone making fun of you are just *kitten*...
    Secondly, get your diet in check, that's the single most important element to losing weight.

What's your goal? How much did you want to lose? What's your daily calorie intake per day?

No need to run IMO either. At your weight it'll be bad for your knees and back. Buy a fitness watch with an active HR and start walking at a quick pace. If your diet is clean and lean, adding this daily walk will see great results right away.

Also, Go On YouTube and google 10 minute beginners workout videos. Many free videos (do them at home) from PTs doing great beginner exercises, add this to your daily walk with your clean diet and you'll be great.

Frank
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with WDF, it's probably best to start with brisk walks and work jogs in. I also prefer trails and tracks rather than running on the street
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ASAPStocky wrote: »
    I agree with WDF, it's probably best to start with brisk walks and work jogs in. I also prefer trails and tracks rather than running on the street

Agreed, Trails are better and more fun to be honest.

Frank
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wanna start running too but just feel uncomfortable doing it. My problem is that because I'm so thin people are gonna look at me weird because of it. Like why is a thin girl running she should be lifting weights.