how to work out with new baby

Options
rtamayo
rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
I have a 3 month old little one at home. I want to start working out again, but how do I do it when Im only getting a few hours of sleep a night and I am so tired Im barely able to stay awake at work?
I cant figure out a solution to this problem, he isnt sleeping through the night yet, and I am tired!!

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    This sounds sad but I would get baby fed and napped then chug down a coffee and get the workout done:)
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How long are the nap times? I workout midday when both kids are napping and when baby goes to bed at night, i go to bed too or i'm not far behind. If you are breastfeeding, cosleeping gets you more sleep.
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Think about investing into Shaun T's Focus T25 workout. It is only 25 minutes long, and though it is new, I hear good things about it. I know how hard it is to carve out any time for yourself, so maybe early in the morning or late in the afternoon while the baby is sleeping.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Got a smart phone? Download Nike Training Club - free app full of awesome workouts from 15-45 minutes long. Cardio, body weight exercises, dumbbells - great variety. And it's FREE! :)
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Not sure how often or when your baby naps, but maybe try to do a mid-morning walk/jog with the baby in a stroller. One of my friends does that every morning, and her baby sleeps like a rock during the morning run and then they stop and play at the park or play outside when they get back.
    Also at home workouts - Jillian Michaels, Shaun T - T25 (heard great things about it), or some other quick workouts like that.

It might boost your energy a bit to start exercising again!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Lay on ground and push baby into air, repeat = bench press

Stand and lift baby above head, repeat = overhead press

Hold baby and pretend to sit down and then stand back up, repeat = squat

The baby should gain more weight as it gets older and you will improve the amounts that you lift = WIN!!!!
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was just about to post the same advice. I was also going to suggest having another baby to work on both arms at the same time.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I remember at 3 months my baby was napping for 3 hours. I can't say that I was working out during her naps, LOL!
    Now that my baby is almost 10 months, I finally decided to start working out during her 2nd nap in the afternoon.

But my baby started sleeping through the night at 6 months (after I did sleep training with her).
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Just do 10 minutes here and there if you can....it adds up! I know how hard it is when you are exhausted....I think sometimes we just need to break it down to the basics until things are more under control too. Nothing wrong with taking a nap when your baby is asleep. Losing weight is tough if you are exhausted.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I know it's not realistic but I think this pic is modivational!

excuses_zpsa9bac24c.jpg
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I gave birth May 15th of this year so I have a 2 month old. She also hasn't begun to sleep through the night. On top of that, I have 3 other kids at home ages 11, 5 and 2. It is hard to work out when you have kids but not impossible.

What I do is wait until she falls asleep during the day. Her 30 minute cat nap is perfect for doing The 30 Day Shred. The other kids just line up beside me and start jumping around. It gets my workout in, gives them a little work out and is fun for everyone. My 2 year old actually follows me around the house saying "I want to workout".

Try to remember that you are more awake and energetic after you work out. You may be tired, but you will feel fantastic afterwards. I don't know your work schedule but try a quick workout video either before or after work during nap time.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Lay on ground and push baby into air, repeat = bench press

Stand and lift baby above head, repeat = overhead press

Hold baby and pretend to sit down and then stand back up, repeat = squat

The baby should gain more weight as it gets older and you will improve the amounts that you lift = WIN!!!!

I'm not sure if this is meant facetiously or not, but... this, assuming the baby's neck is strong enough. My first 6 months with the last baby were one big blur of hell punctuated by cute, so I can't remember which milestones were when. You can also do modified crunches while holding the baby up. They love it if you roll up from your back and you get extra bonus baby giggles.

There's always the option of long walks with regular strollers even if you don't have a jogging stroller. It's especially nice if you have a stroller that lets the baby see the outside world. Infants can get bored too.

Congrats on surviving the first three months. It gets easier, or at least the problems change. Cheerful, aren't I?
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will have to try some of these. He doesnt sleep more than 4-5 hours at a time at night yet, so yeah im tired!! I will try something on my days off (I work 12 hour shifts, 14 days a month) on my work days, Im just to tired right now to try anything.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    walking with stroller
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    exercise videos on you tube when they are asleep
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you brought this up!!!

I know you love and want to play with your baby, here's a game I used to do with mine that really helped build my abs back up and I did it with all three of my girls.

Lay on your back on the floor, put your baby on your shins, hold your baby's hands and rock him/her back and forth towards you and away from you. Your baby will love it and you'll get a fantastic workout out of it.