But it has FAT!!!

Options
NYCNika
NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
So I am now at size 2 or 4, depending on brand (from size 12 six month ago). All my co-workers notice and have a lot of positive comments.

But... whenever I put half and half in my coffee or full fat fresh cream cheese(one of those hand packed ones) on my bagel, I get these shocked exclamations "but it has fat!".

People don't seem to understand that eating "low fat" is not a solution. I eat almost everything full fat (except for skim milk). It is just when I used to have a bagel with cream cheese and did not exercise, now, when I want a bagel, I will have half a bagel with cream cheese and work out 5 times a week.

When manufacturers take out fat, they have to put something else in its place. Fillers, carbs, sugar... None of these are any better than fat. Sugar might be worse. At least your body understands normal fat. I think the more processed it is, and further from the way we used to it, the less well your body copes. But in people's mind fat you consume is what makes you fat.

Replies

• ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you have lost that much weight, why the heck are they concerned with what you are eating anyway?? You obviously know what you are doing, and it isn't like you are going to gain it all back instantly just because you eat some fat!
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    I think that's one of the hardest concepts for people to get. I also only eat full fat except for dairy (I also eat 2% or skim milk cheese). Dietary fat =/= body fat. Our bodies need fats for the production of certain chemicals and to perform some functions. The advertising industry has done so well to convince us that dietary fat is what makes us fat. I don't eat ANY diet foods. Period. I COOK healthier versions of foods I love, and I'm never starving nor do I feel deprived.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love full fat foods...except my milk has to be skim. Amazing how many people don't realize our body needs some fat.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I had this happen when my 19 year old niece came over for dinner one night. We had ordered pizza, and I had 2 slices and a beer (gasp!). Later I mentioned my weight loss efforts, and she was shocked. "But you just ate pizza!" she exclaimed, and I chuckled and said "yep, and I've lost 15 lbs so far!" I was most amused by the confused look she had on her face after that!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    sometimes people can be really annoying. some of the ladies at my work give me a hard time when i mention something about working out. they always say that i don't need to anymore because i'm skinny enough. i guess the idea of a permanent healthy lifestyle doesn't occur to some people. or the idea of mind your own business...?

anyways, nice job losing the weight! keep doing what you're doing and ignore those comments! you obviously know how to get it done! :flowerforyou:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I switched to full fat everything when I decided to lose weight and people are just so perplexed by it.

Seriously the whole fat == fat thing really took a hold of the populace and it's going to be hard to shift.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss! I get it...it drives me crazy too but then when I feel like going off on a rampage about it I step back and think "I use to be one of the mis-informed, un-educated people too". It wasn't until I really got interested in the nutrition side of becoming healthier that I understood this concept. All we can do is bite our tongues and keep on keeping on with what we know works for us and hope that others will educate themselves.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Very often I eat higher calorie just because I understand what is in it. Mayo, for example.

Hellman's low fat "mayo dressing" 15 calories per tablespoon:

WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH*, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP*, EGG WHITES, SALT, SUGAR, XANTHAM GUM*, LEMON AND LIME PEEL FIBERS*, COLORS ADDED*, LACTIC ACID*, (SODIUM BENZOATE*, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), PHOSPHORIC ACID*, NATURAL FLAVORS.

I know it is 15 calories, but I just would not feel good while eating it. That does not fit my idea of what food is.

Spectrum canola mayo, 100 calories per tablespoon:
    Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Pasteurized Whole Eggs, Filtered Water, Honey, White Vinegar, Sea Salt, Dry Mustard, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

My body knows what oil is, my ancestors had it. Modified corn starch on the other hand... I don't know WTF they modified...
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me all the time that I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but will sometimes say that some foods are "too fattening" when I ask if he would like some of what I'm having. I just tell him that he's ridiculous and that any food can be "fattening" if you eat too much of it, which he knows but, he's a diva when it comes to food.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Very often I eat higher calorie just because I understand what is in it. Mayo, for example.

WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH*, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP*, EGG WHITES, SALT, SUGAR, XANTHAM GUM*, LEMON AND LIME PEEL FIBERS*, COLORS ADDED*, LACTIC ACID*, (SODIUM BENZOATE*, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), PHOSPHORIC ACID*, NATURAL FLAVORS.

I know it is 15 calories, but I just would not feel good while eating it. That does not fit my idea of what food is.

Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Pasteurized Whole Eggs, Filtered Water, Honey, White Vinegar, Sea Salt, Dry Mustard, Lemon Juice Concentrate.

My body knows what oil is, my ancestors had it. Modified corn starch on the other hand... I don't know WTF they modified...

So what happens when your body encounters these unknown things like modified corn starch?

Also overfeeding on fat would make you fatter than carbs
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I eat everything low fat, only because I prefer it that way and because it is less calories.

To the OP though, people shouldn't comment on what you are eating, next time they do that, comment on what they are eating :laugh:
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options

This.

I try not to eat anything that has ingredients I can't pronounce or recognize or possibly find in my own kitchen.
  • pluckabee
    Options
    My body knows what oil is, my ancestors had it.

Well... not really. I don't think your ancestor could have got oil from a rapeseed.
  • pluckabee
    Options

How do you figure this?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How do you figure this?

Overfeeding trials
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I only eat full fat, including yoghurt, whipped cream, etc. Just in moderation and I make sure I stay within the daily limit on MFP. It keeps me full and happy (it def. affects my mood, check with my family, lol). Someone here already said that overeating anything makes you fat... ain't that the truth! I prefer fat over sugar any time. Anyone watch "Hungry for Change"? I don't buy all of it, but the part about the diet industry is fascinating!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This.

I try not to eat anything that has ingredients I can't pronounce or recognize or possibly find in my own kitchen.

If I don't know what something is, I ask Google. :smokin:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This.

This is always the silliest argument ever. Using that logic, you wouldn't be able to eat anything. If you actually saw the "ingredients list" of fruits and vegetables, you most likely wouldn't be able to pronounce any of them. But since it just says "apple" you pay it no attention. If the jar just said "low fat mayo" and didn't have an ingredients list, would you eat it then? After all, you wouldn't have to worry about pronouncing scientific names of common things found in foods...
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I suspect that one of the biggest, most pervasive health myths that has arisen in the last 30 years is the idea that eating fat results in you getting fat.

I think this fear of eating fat has helped drive the high-carb diet that most Americans consume.

It's exactly backwards of what we should be eating.

Except for sweets, the traditional food pyramid that they taught when I was in school is UPSIDE DOWN.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I suspect that one of the biggest, most pervasive health myths that has arisen in the last 30 years is the idea that eating fat results in you getting fat.

I think this fear of eating fat has helped drive the high-carb diet that most Americans consume.

It's exactly backwards of what we should be eating.

Except for sweets, the traditional food pyramid that they taught when I was in school is UPSIDE DOWN.

Agreed!