Calorie intake, macros and cardio for strengthening - my questions

Options
rks581
rks581 Posts: 99 Member
Right now I want to gain strength and muscle. I'm 225 lbs (male, 36, 6'0) with an ideal weight of probably around 190, but that's sort of a secondary goal at the moment. So I have some questions about that.

- Should I reduce calorie intake at all? I have MFP set to lose 0.5 lbs/wk and I usually get somewhere between the base goal and the base+exercise goal. I'm a bit concerned that eating the base+exercise goal might cause fat gain because the calories may be wrong (they are still way under what my Garmin watch estimates).
- I have macros set to 40% protein, 15% fat, 45% carbs. I usually end up slightly over on fat and slightly under on carbs so 20% fat, 40% carbs is something I could do more easily. 40% is a lot of protein, but I always feel like protein is what I need.
- How much cardio should I do? I do usually 3 gym strength sessions a week plus some small at-home ones. I've been doing that about 8 months. I'm slightly to somewhat active on weekdays and fairly active on weekends. It's winter now and snowy so running is indoor-only, but I want to run because I like it, and because I need more endurance. Now I've read that cardio+strength is not good, but is that advice relevant to a beginner?

Thanks.