Disappointed

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
I really enjoy hearing the success stories on here however I wish it was me in those stories. I am feeling a. It discouraged today. For the past 3 weeks or so I have exercised everyday for atleast an hr and have logged everything I have eaten. Although I haven't drank as much water as I should I do drink more than what I usually do. I weighed in this morning and apparently during those 3 weeks I gained 4 lbs.....gained 4 lbs? I have stuck to this regime and have been pretty strict but all of this and I don't lose .5 lbs? I'm really frustrated and do not know what to do from here. I really thought I had this nutrition and exercise thing down but I guess not

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hello rjel78. Could you make your diary public so that we can look it over and offer specific suggestions? In addition, could you please provide answers to the following:

- your height
    - your weight
    - what type of exercise are you doing?
    - is this new exercise (new in the past 3 weeks)?
    - are you weighing your solid foods?
    - are you measuring your liquids with a measuring cup or spoon?

Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? You might be eating more than you think. Even then though... probably just water retention. I strongly suggest weighing more often if you want more accurate data... weight will go up and down due to water weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The start of an exercise program often results in a stall on the scale. Water is retained as muscles try to recover. You may have lost fat but are holding onto more water.

Measurements are often more helpful.

Do re-assess your food though. If you are eating too much you won't lose.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if we could take a look at your food diary...

I also think when you are trying to lose weight, weighing your body every day and recording it is important. Weight fluctations happen for a variety of reasons, but the general trend will be down if you are logging food correctly.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It takes time to make lasting changes.
    You did not weigh yourself for 3 weeks? You might weigh more often... at least once a week to have more data. Do it at the same time of day under same conditions on the same scale.
    Be aware that you can be retaining water from things like exercise, period/ovulation cycle, high sodium foods. You can see the scale go up a few pounds due to this.
    Check your logging accuracy. Use a digital food scale instead of measuring cups/spoons or eyeballing. Choose accurate entries.
    Eat about half of your exercise calories instead of all of them.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hello rjel78. Could you make your diary public so that we can look it over and offer specific suggestions? In addition, could you please provide answers to the following:

- your height
    - your weight
    - what type of exercise are you doing?
    - is this new exercise (new in the past 3 weeks)?
    - are you weighing your solid foods?
    - are you measuring your liquids with a measuring cup or spoon?

Thanks!

This-we need more info before we can give you more concrete suggestions :)
  • rjel78
    Options
    5'10. 398
    3 days a week I go to the gym and do a stationary bike for an hour, then 2 sets of weights....the other 4 days I do a workout DVD at home. Since I've started this program (again) I've got my steps in

I have done these exercises before but never this many times in a row

I am not weighing foods currently but eating only serving sizes

I do not weigh my liquids either, just what comes in the bottle
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Watch this video - reference weighing your food vs measuring it. Then go buy a food scale. ;)

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    5'10. 398
    3 days a week I go to the gym and do a stationary bike for an hour, then 2 sets of weights....the other 4 days I do a workout DVD at home. Since I've started this program (again) I've got my steps in

I should have asked this but are you writing down what you eat? Even if you are not logging calories? I'm actually a fan of not logging calories to start and instead just writing down all that you eat normally. After a week or two, look at the log and decide what you can cut out or cut back on. Right now, if you've been logging your food somehow, you have a good record to look at in order to do just that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food?

If you aren't keeping accurate records, you won't see results. Period. Every bite, every sip. Record it.

See that's the only way you'll be able to make any adjustments - you HAVE TO have good records. Then you know if you are eating too much (*hint = you are*) and if you are eating not enough. You can only adjust KNOWN issues - it's not a guessing game.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Watch this video - reference weighing your food vs measuring it. Then go buy a food scale. ;)

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

Greatest. Video. Find. Ever.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    5'10. 398

How do you know it's the right serving size if it's not weighed?

A package can tell you that 15 cookies is a serving size, but also tell you that it's 50g. If you are just counting out 15 cookies but not weighing them, you could be overeating as the 15 cookies could end up being 80g and therefore, you are eating more.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    5'10. 398

How do you know it's the right serving size if it's not weighed?

A package can tell you that 15 cookies is a serving size, but also tell you that it's 50g. If you are just counting out 15 cookies but not weighing them, you could be overeating as the 15 cookies could end up being 80g and therefore, you are eating more.

And packaged products in the US are allowed to be off by as much as 20%. So if you think you are eating 300 calories, it could be anywhere from 240-360 calories in reality.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    5'10. 398

I should have asked this but are you writing down what you eat? Even if you are not logging calories? I'm actually a fan of not logging calories to start and instead just writing down all that you eat normally. After a week or two, look at the log and decide what you can cut out or cut back on. Right now, if you've been logging your food somehow, you have a good record to look at in order to do just that.

I used this method when I first started losing weight. I kept a little notebook and wrote down everything that I ate and an estimate of the calories. I actually lost 40lbs before I started weighing everything and logging it. When my weight loss stalled for almost a month is when I tightened down.
  • rjel78
    Options
    To everyone asking if I record everything I eat the answer is yes. I started (again) this 3 weeks ago and have logged in and recorded everything for that time. And I know it's not a guessing game. What I meant was is that I don't weigh my food, I just look on the container/box and use the "recommended" serving size. And I read what one member said about that the actual size maybe off. I am doing what I can and this is the most I've been dedicated in awhile. As soon as I have the funds I will look into getting a scale but until then I have to do it this way
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    To everyone asking if I record everything I eat the answer is yes. I started (again) this 3 weeks ago and have logged in and recorded everything for that time. And I know it's not a guessing game. What I meant was is that I don't weigh my food, I just look on the container/box and use the "recommended" serving size. And I read what one member said about that the actual size maybe off. I am doing what I can and this is the most I've been dedicated in awhile. As soon as I have the funds I will look into getting a scale but until then I have to do it this way

If you are not weighing your food, it IS a guessing game. Don't count on the box...You are going to be incredibly surprised, just like I was, when you see how much each portion of everything REALLY weighs!! A typical basic digital scale is about 9-14 bux, pretty much everywhere. Believe me, when you start to see the real numbers, and watch for a couple of weeks to see where you're going right, and where it's not....suddenly you will see RESULTS.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Just FYI, they are cheap...

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-function-Stainless-Kitchen-Weighing-Capacity/dp/B01EWATVSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482427544&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=digital+food+scale&psc=1