Recovering from Poor Living

Options
I need some assistance...
I am a recovering alcoholic and I have started my journey back to fitness. Since entering recovery, I have lost about 30 pounds (reduced carbs :smile: ) through diet and exercise (cardio and light weight training). My body fat is down to 15% (still carrying a bit of a belly but I can see my abs starting to poke through). I changed diets and workouts 30 days ago to a heavier weight routine and my strength is improving each week.

Diet: Averaging 2400 calories (protein 30%, fat 30%, carbs 40%). I am still running a daily deficit of about 400 - 500 calories
Exercise: MWF weights using a strength routine (core exercises (bench, squat, row, deadlift, etc)) with Tues and Thurs for HIIT (30 mins). On weight days (not leg day) I still do 20 minutes of cardio as a warm up.

I am not necessarily looking to bulk but more focused on building lean mass for health and cosmetic reasons. I have two problems:
1) I cannot eat enough calories in a day to erase my deficit. I supplement (3 protein shakes a day) and eat 6-7 times a day
2) I am concerned that if I reduce my cardio I will see the fat % creep up

I appreciate any advice offered!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) I would get a bit leaner before starting to enter a calorie surplus- 15% is the upper end of optimal
    2) If you cannot eat enough to hit maintenance/surplus you will keep losing weight
    3)Slowly reducing cardio will reduce your TDEE and the size of your deficit so this could work for you.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    1) You can. Eat calorie dense food (Spoonfuls of peanut butter, nuts, avacado, nothing light or low fat).
    2) You will only gain fat if your reduction in cardio nets a calorie surplus.
    Congrats on your recovery and good luck with your goals.
  • jamesrpotts
    jamesrpotts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the responses... Still working on the body fat... Stuck at 15% but seeing the changes in my body. I did add egg whites to my shakes as well as an additional breakfast (eggs and some type of meat) so I am staying consistent on my protein and adding some calories.

At the end of the day, it's about the journey... Right?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You know you are doing great, right?
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I come from a family of alcoholics. While I've never struggled with alcoholism (I wont even touch alcohol), I have seen first hand the damaging effects of alcoholism. I think it's great that you are recovering and have taken up something constructive instead. Jgnatca is right, you're doing great!
  • jamesrpotts
    jamesrpotts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's always nice to receive an "attaboy". Thank you all. I have a great support system.