Why don't I have motivation!!

In the last 5 years I have put 6 stone on. I use to have a lot of energy and motivation but now I just don't have anything.

I have been dieting for the past few days 1500 calories a day. I haven't not got on the scales yet and I don't think I want to.
Do I need to exercise as well ?
What gets you motivated ?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Do you want to exercise? If so, do that. If not, don't. You can create a calorie deficit just by eating less. But 1500 calories is most likely too little food for someone your age, weight, and sex. What number did MFP give you?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    I'd strongly recommend getting active, whether actually following an exercise program or not. Personally, my mind is my own worst enemy. If I'm not active, and still doing what I did while eating too much, eventually I'll just go back to eating too much.

Start with walks and the deficit kommodevaran spoke of. After a couple of weeks, if you stick to it, you'll see weight going down. Hitting that goal could be your first goal, and provide some motivation to get to it.

Wishing you best results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Motivation is just an emotion...we all do things every single day for which we aren't necessarily motivated...I'm pretty much never motivated to clean my bathroom or do the dishes or vacuum the house...but these things need doing, otherwise my house would be a *kitten* pile and unlivable...your body is your house, take care of your house.

For myself, eating well doesn't really require motivation...I understand that eating healthfully doesn't have to be bland and boring and that nutritious food can also be delicious food...I think this is one area where people really *kitten* up...they think everything has to be bland or just salads or whatever...yeah, that's boring as *kitten* and not very motivating.

As exercise goes, I love cycling and enjoy lifting...so there again, not a lot of motivation needed to do something I really enjoy doing...kind of like asking me how I stay motivated for sex...
  • wayne2017
    wayne2017 Posts: 26 Member
    I don't feel hungry at all so I don't want to up my calories.

I use to ride a bike a lot but not in this weather haha

what is MFP?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    wayne2017 wrote: »
    I don't feel hungry at all so I don't want to up my calories.

I use to ride a bike a lot but not in this weather haha

what is MFP?

Not feeling hungry isn't a sign you're eating enough. What are your stats?

MFP=My Fitness Pal, where we are
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Personally, I think going with the lowest recommended calorie allowance right off the bat is a recipe for failure and isn't going to help the motivation issue. But as has been mentioned, motivation comes & goes... habit works the best.