What is the "healthiest diet" to you? and why?

Options
not talking about weight loss or anything, just truly the "healthiest" way to eat. Be as descriptive as you like.

Replies

• snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    No processed food what so ever, plant-based, no dairy or any animal products. No added oil. It has not only helped me lose weight to an extent but has helped control some health issues that were very bad 6 months ago before I made this change. I don't crave sweets as much as I used too either or any really high fat food that was causing me stomach problems.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Based on how I feel and my blood test results, the healthiest diet I've ever tried (I haven't tried them all, so I can't say it is the healthiest for me) seems to be one that is highish in carbohydrates, moderate fat, and plenty of fiber and vegetables.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Personally - red meat/fish or poultry almost every day of the week
    Cheese
    lbs and lbs of broccoli/cauliflower/corn/Brussel sprouts/bell peppers/onions etc
    lots of eggs

When I keep the above to correct and/or reasonable portions, it leaves me room for pizza/occasional bowl of cereal/chocolate..

I get most of my protein/fat from the above, and use a shake to supplement, and the veggies take care of most of the rest. I don't really track my carbs - they just seem to fall in close to my macros with the above as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I would just say that there is no such thing as a "healthiest diet", and then quote Ellyn Satter (again):

What is Normal Eating?

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eat it and truly get enough of it -not just stop eating because you think you should. Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.

For more about eating competence (and for research backing up this advice), see Ellyn Satter's Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook, Kelcy Press, 2008. Also see www.EllynSatterInstitute.org/store to purchase books and to review other resources.

©2016 by Ellyn Satter published at www.EllynSatterInstitute.org.

- See more at: http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/whatisnormaleating.php#sthash.pJdd5s1u.dpuf

I've never heard of her before, but I really like this.

I like this too...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would just say that there is no such thing as a "healthiest diet", and then quote Ellyn Satter (again):

What is Normal Eating?

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied. It is being able to choose food you like and eat it and truly get enough of it -not just stop eating because you think you should. Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food. Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good. Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way. It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful. Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more. Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.

For more about eating competence (and for research backing up this advice), see Ellyn Satter's Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family: How to Eat, How to Raise Good Eaters, How to Cook, Kelcy Press, 2008. Also see www.EllynSatterInstitute.org/store to purchase books and to review other resources.

©2016 by Ellyn Satter published at www.EllynSatterInstitute.org.

- See more at: http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/hte/whatisnormaleating.php#sthash.pJdd5s1u.dpuf

I've never heard of her before, but I really like this.

I like this too...

Me, three.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way of eating for me is one that allows me to meet my weight and health goals, and is also one that I can sustain for the next 40+ years.

Almost 4 years into maintenance now and I've got things ironed out pretty well-I eat all the foods that I like, from veggies and whole grains, to things like fast food several times a week. I haven't cut out anything I enjoy, I've just learned how to fit them into my calorie goals. I also keep things pretty simple and only focus on my calorie intake.

This is the healthiest method for me and I'm in excellent health, have a bmi of around 21 and am a statistical anomaly because I've kept almost 50lbs off for several years now :)

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What's the definition of healthy? Do we go by blood test/markers?
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's the definition of healthy? Do we go by blood test/markers?
    I took it "healthiest to me" - different folks may have different requirements etc...good point though.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    All whole foods and ingredients. Local foods that are in season. Tons of organic veggies and occasional fruits. Wild, free range, grass-fed, etc. meats and raw dairy.

Currently 75-80% of my diet is this way. I'd like it to be 90% with just the occasional indulgence.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For me?

Whole, unrefined, minimally processed foods that are lower in carbs, and very low in sugars and grains, is the diet that I believe is healthiest for me. Also gluten-free since I a a celiac. If I did not have insulin resistance, then I would change it by adding more carbs in the form of veggies.

Why? I don't think some of the ingredients that are added to food for preservation, colour and flavour are food, never mind things we should eat. Meat, veggies, eggs, dairy and some fruit seems like healthy choices. Grains and sugars don't seem to offer much to me for health. At all.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like the Satter too.

Hmm, for ME, healthy eating is:

Eating in a way that I find satisfying and that is nourishing and feels good.

Because I have a tendency to eat when not hungry and snack in a non-mindful way, I have found it healthier (again, for ME) to focus on regular meals, most of which are home cooked from whole food ingredients primarily and are balanced -- I have protein, lots of vegetables, and some healthy fats and starches at most meals although when I am eating them I don't think of them that way, but focus on them as foods.

I eat with enjoyment, not to stifle feelings, and like to share meals and conversation with others when possible, sometimes sharing food as part of a celebration (Christmas, for example!).

I know that I shouldn't overeat and eat an appropriate amount for me, but I don't stress about it if I eat a little extra on a day -- getting upset or feeling shame about food is not healthy, IMO. I generally have ideas about how I should eat (like I said, enough protein, vegetables at all meals, local and seasonal when possible -- although winter is a thing and I take advantage of the conveniences of modern life, like broccoli in January and clementines!), but if I don't follow these ideas perfectly or have a day where getting in something is what's on my mind or I just really want to eat in a way that's not normally consistent with my plan, well, again, that's life and part of being healthy is excepting that and just going back to normal the next day.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    The healthiest diet for me involves:
    1. Eating nutritious foods, especially vegetables because nutrients are important
    2. Eating a good variety of foods because no single food has all the nutrients
    3. Eating foods that I like because self care is healthy
    4. Not stressing about the foods I eat, or things like fat, sugar, processing...etc because extra stress is not healthy and singling out foods is unnecessary
    5. Not restricting food in a way the affects my social life negatively because being social is healthy
    7. Not eating too many calories too often because being obese is not healthy
    8. Keeping an eye on certain things that may be beneficial/harmful without getting obsessive, like consuming probiotic rich products and leafy vegetables when possible but not going out of my way, and not overindulging in alcohol or meats cooked at high temperatures or processed too often, but not outright banning them from my life.
    9. Not eating spoiled, contaminated or poisonous food for obvious reasons.
    10. Not driving myself insane with food rules trying to have the "healthiest diet possible" or have it control my life overshadowing other important aspects. That kind of anxiety and obsession is not healthy and food serves many purposes in addition to keeping us alive.

I did #'s 4 and 10 for a while. Made me crazy. No more of that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Omnivorous, locally sourced, non-industrial.

I don't achieve it.