Sprained my wrist yesterday doing horizontal bench press - bad form

Options
This is where being 45 sucks. I'll have to take it easy for a few weeks.

I wasn't paying attention to my form. dang it!!!

What will help it heal? I've been putting arnica on it every 1/2 hour or so. I did it yesterday, but didn't feel the sprain until last night. It came gradually.

It's a 5 out of 10 in pain.

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ice! And maybe visit the doctor.
  • newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ice and stabilize it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would probably try to immobilize it. Wrap it or wear a splint (like for carpal tunnel sufferers).
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (although you can probably skip the elevation part).
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have a brace. I'll wear it
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    After they heal up a little, you may want to do some wrist curls to strengthen them.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I could be jumping the gun here with my reply but you may want to look at how the barbell is seated in your hand. If the barbell is placed too high up in the palm, you're creating a moment arm at the wrist (the barbell will not be centered over the forearm).

I go over it in a Q and A thread here and I made a short video. I'm not saying this is the issue, perhaps you had some sort of freak accident, but if this is a contributing factor you'd want to be aware of it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10484261/december-q-and-a-thread
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Another vote for ice and a wrap.

You're strong and healthy, I bet it heals up quickly for you.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I could be jumping the gun here with my reply but you may want to look at how the barbell is seated in your hand. If the barbell is placed too high up in the palm, you're creating a moment arm at the wrist (the barbell will not be centered over the forearm).

I go over it in a Q and A thread here and I made a short video. I'm not saying this is the issue, perhaps you had some sort of freak accident, but if this is a contributing factor you'd want to be aware of it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10484261/december-q-and-a-thread

yep...held it wrong...exactly why I hurt my wrist. didn't pay attention to proper form. thanks